Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Onan CCKB Engine Availability

This may be lazy Sunday afternoon thinking but I was wondering if used Onan CCKB engines are commonly available. I've looked on eBay a few times but nothing has surfaced yet. If I do happen to find one, are there different versions other than what's on my Pow'rmax?

Beeser, can you more fully describe this engine? I have a friend who has an Onan that he will most likely sell. I don't know the condition of it , but it's a big twin, probably a 20 horse, and if I'm correct he said it was set up to run on propane. I can check with him to see if he will sell it. He had a big Briggs also and I think he wanted 200 for it. I'm not very familiar with Onan's, but if you can tell me more I might can see if it will fit what you need.

The CCK series used in the powermax's was a long run ind. designe engine used mostly on generators and some other industrial applications. Not that the other ONAN's aren't just as good, but the dimentions of the engines are diff. The space between the base and centerline of the crankshaft is diff. between the CCK's and most of the rest of the series of most engine makes. This is one of the more agravating prolems of finding a replacement engine now. No one I know of makes an engine that will bolt into the frme and still place the crankshaft at the proper height. Most other Onan's are the BM series, like used in the Sears/Wheel Horse tractors.

I have a 16hp motor out of my 616 that is under going a extreme make over to 28 hp diesel. Was only part of tractor that worked like it was supposed to. To make it into 20hp I'm told you have to change intake manifold. I "think" the charging system and flywheel are different from 20hp.

Yup! Ron & Dave are on the mark! These motors were from the era of the tractor manufacturer (Simplicity/Allis) telling the supplier (Onan) what they wanted in hp, charging system & crank/carb/air filter configurations. Gravely used them as well as a lot of other MFG's, each with their own demands. There is a 'base' motor, it's mostly the block, pistons, rods, rings, heads, brgs & guides. To the original question, How many do you want?? LOL JP

Hey Beez, For you, SUCH a DEAL! LOL JP PS I have to ask, You want ANOTHER complete motor sitting around? Why wouldn't you have a 'short block' done or made for when the "IT" happens??

quote:
Originally posted by JP
PS I have to ask, You want ANOTHER complete motor sitting around? Why wouldn't you have a 'short block' done or made for when the "IT" happens??
Strange as it may seem, the thought was just to tear into one and tinker with it. Can't hardly do that with the one I have. Having an already done short block on hand is a great idea for when "IT" happens but would take the fun out of it. Does that make any sense or am I loosing it?

Heck, most of us have "lost it." That's why we're here. This is the Tractorholics Annonymous group, in case you hadn't figured it out. We are here cause we have this disease that makes us A. Go buy tractors we don't need, B. Tinker with them, C. Become obsessed with them, D. Lie to the wife about why we need them (and why we already blew this year's vacation money) and so on. Very dangerous hobby. :D