Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Dual tires

RickS

I have been seening more and more dual wheel adaptors for sale on this site. I was wondering what are the advantages and disadvantages to having dual rear wheels. I understand that while blowing or plowing snow one would not want dual tires since the traction would be less (less pounds per square inch). And the dual tire's width would exceed the blade or blower width. In the past I have used my 3416 with a Johnny bucket in my horse pasture and have gotten stuck. Would dual tires help in this situation? Note this tractor does have AG tires front and rear. The front AG tires are reversed for steering. Would dual tires help in the use of a grader blade, Johnny Bucket or speading dirt in the summer? thanks Rick.....

The two places where I could see a benefit to dual rear tires: 1. Working on side-slopes, for signifcantly improved stability... 2. Working in marshy, muddy ground where there would be less likelihood of miring up... That's about it, IMO, other than "kewl looks"... otherwise the width of the setup and the "lighter footprint" could be as much a hindrance as a help. For example, the width of your rear tires would be wider than your implement/attachment...

Did you get stuck because front tires sunk in mud? Or was the pasture just slick? My experience with full sized tractors was with loader on tractor, it made front end sink. Did not have duals on that tractor. Tractor with duals on did spread weight out, but rear wheels did not sink as fast and gave superb traction. But Dodge truck with duals traction tires on would get stuck on a bananna peel. Was better with good load on, but one of the worst vehicles that I have had for traction. In its former life it was a wrecker truck. I put on a dump box for farm use.

Ronald, The tractor gets stuck for several reasons. One is the field is slick and the other is because I get two wheels in the air (Usually one front and one rear, but on opposite sides; left front, right rear.) Kent, The cool factor is a plus, but I want to use the tractor, so if the dual tires won't do what I need then the cool factor does not matter. I would only use the dual tires for the summer, moving dirt and spreading dirt. thanks Rick........

Duals suit better for floatation in most wet conditions. There are some areas like out here where I'm at that have heavy Black and Red clay. It's easy to spin a cleated tire full of clay and not dig a treamendous hole so duals w/ the same weight on the tractor gives much better traction. But it varies greatly on soil, weather, and other factors. The best combination is mearly finding out whitch works best for what your doing w/ the tractor.

Dave, Based on your answer I need dual adaptors, two rims and two AG tires. Thanks, I better talk to my welder and see what he will charge. Rick..........

Ronald, Yes I am aware of the sets for sale, in fact it was those sets that prompted this quesiton. The only reason for having my welder make some, is he is very handy and very cheap, but does great work. Rick..........

$100 is well worth the time, but yes you can make them also. Kewl factor and the steep slopes are the key. Only one tractor for me one day, otherwise heck they also limit the garage space!