Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Big Ten Starting/Running Issues

Ithaca_Chris

Recently purchased Big Ten has issues strating/running. It's not the battery, only symptom is gas dripping from Carburetor and white/sometimes black smoke coming from exhaust pipe. Not too mechanical, but my best guess is carb issues, seller stated that there was "bad gas" in tank when I purchase. Of course, too excited when got home started her up and she ran alright for a bit, but would cut out after 5-10 minutes running. Now won't really start. Any thoughts please helpful.

drain gas from tank and filter. drain gas from carb, remove spark plug and try starting. This hopefully will remove all bad gas from system. Really would recommend new spark plug but if necessary it can be cleaned and dried and replace.

Check and make sure you are getting good spark, and also check to see if engine is overheating. Lots of times birds and other critters will stuff all manner of junk under the sheet metal surrounding the engine, those fins have to be all clear. Bad gas is very likely, but that tells me it has been sitting awhile. If so, carb may have some junk. I'd recommend a good cleaning. Doesn't sound like you have too much wrong with it. My Simplicity 700 did the same thing when I got it. Carb was full of gunk.

Your user name caught my attention! I am just from the other side of corning out in the sticks. Pretty close to yah just wanted to say HELLO!

Sounds like bad gas, and the associated problems. Do all the above for cleaning the tank and cylinder. Likely you'll need to simply change the filter, because if the gas is as bad as it sounds, there is varnish built up in the filter. Most likely, you'll need to remove the carb, clean it with a decent spray carb cleaner and compressed air, remove and check the float to see if it has gas inside. It will 'slosh' when shaken if it does. If it does, replace it. Check also the needle. If there is a shoulder worn onto the needle, replace that, as well. The needle and float might well be your flooding and black smoke problem in lieu of 'bad gas'.