Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Next Tractor Purchase?

I think something like this is a good candidate for my next tractor purchase. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7718028706&sspagename=ADME:L:RTQ:US:1 What I like about it is it's not too old or new and most of the desired attachments are included. Do you guys think that this would be a good one to supplement my Pow'rmax? Any better suggestions? JP - Do you have one of these?:D

I have a 716H (with only a 10Hp engine) and a 713S. These are great tractors. I also have a 7116H and a 61 Wards (Simp 700). I, myself, have a problem justifying a PowerMax. Unless I were wanting to drive a bush hog or have a front end loader or backhoe, I don't see the need for the Powermax. I have less money in all my tractors and attachments than most PowerMax tractors bring without attachments. If you don't have one, then you will be amazed with what these smaller machines can accomplish. It may take a little longer with the smaller machines, but in most cases they are more versatile and can work in places that the PowerMax will not fit. Once you get one of the large frame tractors, you may find that you get more seat time on it than you do on the PowerMax. All of this depends on your own personal needs and the type of work that you are doing with the tractors. For example: the size and layout of the area you are mowing, the size of the garden you are raising, the layout of your driveway and how much roadway you would be clearing of snow, etc. These are the things that determine the size tractor that you need.

Beeser: Looks like a great deal to me. Let's see, a tractor that looks like it's been well cared for (already converted to a coil ignition ^)all major attachments included all for a winning bid under a grand? Heck, the seller even threw in the belts and chains. If I saw a package like that near me, I'd go for it...just have to make sure I had a good story for "magagement". Actually she's happy I don't drag home cars to restore any more. My version of downsizing. A PowerMax would be overkill for me on my little acre. I just got my 7016 running and mowing for the first time in over a year. When you look at what the big box stores get, the one on eBay looks even more attractive. It even has the hubcaps...that alone justifies the purchase. :D

I was real tempted to bid on the AC 712H. Based on comments here and those of JP, I probably would get more use out of it than the Pow'rmax. Had it been in my neck of the woods there's little doubt that it would be sitting in my garage now. I'll be keeping my eye out for another one.

quote:
Originally posted by ambler
Beezer That 7016 was in your neck of the woods.
Yes, but I thought everyone agreed that the guy was asking too much for it. He wouldn't even allow me to try and start it to justify the higher price. Besides it only had a mowing deck for attachments. Still a possibility but doesn't look too promising.