Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Value of stuff????

While checking the status on the 7016 that I'm watching on eBay I looked at what else the seller was offering. The first thing that caught my eye was a mower deck. Granted it was for a John Deere but the old rusty deck had a starting price of $500! Then I noticed some toys (yes, real toys) that had a minimum price of around $750. By this time I thought this seller needed a reality check. That is until I lastly noticed that someone actually bid on one of those $750 toys. Now I'm wondering if I'm the one that needs to be brought back to Earth or JP needs to place his stash on eBay and retire to Aruba. Help me out here guys. Who needs to regain their sanity, me or the seller.

Steve, You are trying to make things too simple. To sell something, you have to find someone willing to pay your price. If the guy wants it bad enough he is going to buy it. For instance, if you had a collection of every tractor Simplicity ever made, except one. You would probably be willing to pay a ridiculous price for that last one, just to complete your collection. Anyone else is only willing to pay what it is worth to him, which may not be much. I bought my 61 Wards w/mower for $150. I bought my AC716H wo/mower for $150. I bought my 7116H for $250 w/mower and a tiller that didn't directly fit. I built my AC713S from a pile of parts from 8 or more tractors, and have nearly $500 invested in it w/mower. Pay what you think is fair to you. It would have to be exceptional or have several attachments other than a mower deck, for me to pay more that $500 for a large frame tractor, even though I have seen them sell for $1200 - $1500.

Aruba? When do we leave?? LOL Yes.... It's a 'Market' thing. I see Pmax items on Ebay & it seems like the seller is trying to make a 'Boat payment' on EACH sale! You see that a LOT on ebay with the bidding up of items far over an 'over the counter' price. I think it's a fishin' sort of thing, Sellers put big $$ on an item, IF it sells - Kuhl! If not, wait a while, put it back out a 'little' lower... No sure 'sanity' enters into the discussion.... LOL You know, The 'Sanity Clause'. No such 'ting! Chico Marx....(or something like that....) LOL

The JD deck is not for any little JD lawn tractor. The 400 and 420 type tractors are almost a subcompact somewhat in line with powermax tractors. Powermax decks go for around $500 do they not? As for the toys, those are not just a toy you can go to a store and buy. I've seen those style of Buddy L trucks on antiques roadshow for more than that. Not a lot of them around anynmore in good shape, especially with the box. Many toys of all kinds new and old are very collectible. The rarer it is the more its worth.

The value of anything is relative. In my present situation I find that time and manpower have far more value than things that I've paid other people for. I am working deals with folks to take some of my stuff and store it. In exchange, I'm giving them tractor stuff. They're happy and so am I... What I once paid for I'm now giving away in exchange for something that now has more value to me....

It's kind of like 'Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder', 'One man's junk is another man's gems' And there is a value there.

I just got back from the Arden show. Lots of old tractors and probably most were for sale. The most ridiculous example was a rusted hulk of a tractor with--get this--a TREE growing up through the middle of it. It was cut off from below and above the engine, no hood, no ID'ing marks, but I'm pretty sure it was JD, but all paint (as well as life) had long since departed this poor beast. Why would anyone even bother with something like that? Not sure, but his price was too high, as I recall to even justify thinking about it, much less buying it. There were lots of examples of over-priced merchandise out there, tractors, attachments and the like. Some folks were buying though. I bought a generator. Asking price was 150. Talked him down to 125. 2750 watt output, direct drive horizontal shaft engine, 110, 120 and 240 volt...runs good. I thought it was a decent deal. But I wouldn't pay the same price for one a few rows over that didn't run and had no safety features. My experience in used stuff is this, buy as you feel you need to and can afford to, but be prepared to be burned every once in a while. It's the luck of the draw.