Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Whats it worth

stevei46

[url]http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7719906717&fromMakeTrack=true[/url] Iam new to this club and have been wanting an old simplicity or ac to restore and use around my house. this one is located about 30 or so miles from me and has all the attachments i want. so i'm interested in knowing what you guys think my brother has both a b110 and b112 ac. my dad has 4 power kings, jd100, cub cadet 70 and 12 full size farm tractors thanks for any advise

Welcome to the Simple Tractor club. Anything after this is, just my Opinion.. only: So how does this tractor run? He says good. Do you trust the guy? Does it really.... Call the seller, write or go look at it; if they don't give you confidence in their answer...run away. Otherwise, the lights are not right, the tractor looks nice, it is the first model of all the sit down tractor types by Simplicity (getting more RARE). It's more of a collector tractor than a "work machine", so get to love the hobby or run. As for giving you details, perhaps a fellow club member want's to bid against you, so I will not go any further on value. I'd not bid too much unless I really looked it over and knew what I was getting. Good luck!

At that price I say jump on it. Might drive the 30ish miles to check it out in real life. Should have a Model 19 Briggs in it, which was rated at 7hp not 8. See it has the pulley set-up for the tiller, those are hard to come buy and I believe will work on any of the B series tractors. I have a 725, which is a newer model--'63 of the same tractor. Love that little guy and work the devil outta it, and it never quits or wines.

Steve, by the pictures I see it has the rare roto-tiller pulleys on the tractor. I agree it looks pretty complete, go for it.

Bid $750. Tractor=$300, tiller $300 (complete with hard to find pulley), plow $150 and it's yours. That bid would scare off the competition or the cheapman's hobby folks. Also note that the carb is missing the air cleaner.

Well, I buy and sell this stuff all the time and have done so for the last ten years. I' rarely get more than $200 for the tillers, and its a wait to find a buyer each time. They are not a quick sell. The tiller drive pulleys however are a quick sell at around $70-$100 by themselves. The Snow Blades I find are not a quick mover unless you price them around $75 or less. $125 is about the most I have got out of a pristine early blade. Tractor and deck in working condition is fairly valued at $200-$300 from my experience. I generally buy locally this stuff for about half or less than those prices I sited, so that tells you what the items can be bought for. The model 19 engine is getting harder to get certain parts for. to my knowledge a good Crankshaft is getting to be a tough commodity to find. The bevel gear box has a seal or two that is no longer available the last time I checked which was about two years ago or longer. Rule of thumb to remember buying a cheap parts tractor is cheaper than buying individual parts. Also, prices vary on this collectible equipment from region to region. Time of year also influences the prices. The best rule of thumb is to bid or buy in an amount you are comfortable in having tied up , or worst case scenario having to throw away.

Steve, it will depend a lot on what the reserve is. Machines of that caliber generally go between 300-400 on average in our neigborhood (I'm not far from you). I agree with Mike about getting more info about it first. The majority of machines I have bought off ebay always have something wrong that was "accidentally" left out of the ad. But it's all what you're willing to spend. If it works like he says then get it. For what I do it's a bit out of my range pricewise but probably is better suited for shows or collecting but even at $400-700 you wont be able to get anything new at that price with those attachments and be useable. If this one doesnt work out, take a ride up to Labuda's in Herminie on Clay Pike. They have some decent used stuff in their "A" lot including some Simplicitys but they are priced a little high for me-

Ouch, talk about what it's worth: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7555015768&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1 I'm out on that one. :) WOW on who ever is putting their money there and congrats to the seller! I can't see how something so simple goes for so much money and a tiller could only be worth $200? I'd like to see the results of someone fabricating a tiller verses spacers which you'll never see or who cares if their not exact!

Steve, Read the ad very carefully, all the seller says is "runs well and has a lot of power" Why are there no photos of the tiller or deck and what shape are they in? Does it smoke or burn oil? How is the bevel gear box and what condition are the 4 belts in? How are the deck spindles? These and other parts are 45 years old and at some time need replacing.They are not cheap and I am sure you will be needing some.I agree with a few of the other posts on the value of some of these parts but you want to use this tractor not resell parts or attachments.I would not even think of bidding that much money without driving the 30 miles and having all these questions answered.

quote:
Originally posted by michaelg221
Ouch, talk about what it's worth: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7555015768&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1 I'm out on that one. :) WOW on who ever is putting their money there and congrats to the seller! I can't see how something so simple goes for so much money and a tiller could only be worth $200? I'd like to see the results of someone fabricating a tiller verses spacers which you'll never see or who cares if their not exact!
Its normal. You cant ship a tiller, and if you can the cost would be so high as to make it unpalatable. With the heavy items location in regards to somone who wants it is everything. With the spacers, they can be thrown in a box and shipped easily for a decent fee. I paid $100 for a set of spacers just like those a couple of years ago for a loader tractor I put together, and I was the one that offered the $100.They are worth the money if you need them. Also if they are homade and out of round then thats going to be kinda tough on the transmission. Pays to have the right factory parts.

Sam, I respect your experience in selling and surprised with some of your successes (I watch like everyone else), but heck I in no way will sell a tiller for that cheap! I'll send everyone your way for tillers. How many more do you have? Michael G. P.S. Give you a hint with me and tillers, I use them! They are more valuable to me than many other items/attachments. Otherwise, I'm really done with Simplicity/AC machines, I got every attachment I need. There may be a few left for collection, but no urgency.
quote:
Originally posted by SmilinSam
quote:
Originally posted by michaelg221
Its normal. You cant ship a tiller, and if you can the cost would be so high as to make it unpalatable. With the heavy items location in regards to somone who wants it is everything. With the spacers, they can be thrown in a box and shipped easily for a decent fee. I paid $100 for a set of spacers just like those a couple of years ago for a loader tractor I put together, and I was the one that offered the $100.They are worth the money if you need them. Also if they are homade and out of round then thats going to be kinda tough on the transmission. Pays to have the right factory parts.

Being it's close enough to you I go by and kick the tires. See if it all works and go from there. I've bought AC710 T-10 Homelett -Simp.7013 727 Boardmoor. All with decks and front blades and 3 tillers. 727 didn't have a running motor. Average price $500.00 each. Down here in SC they are a little higher priced then in your neck of the woods. My two cent worth.

I just dont care to look at the older open sided 32" tillers sitting on the shelf. When I get them I want them sold. I'll generally buy a whole tractor package with a tiller for $200 or less and then unload the tiller real quick to get my investment back. Then with no money in the rest I can afford to le it sit and take my time selling the rest. For the newer style 32" tiller I ask $250. For the 36" tillers I dont genarally sell a good one for less than $350 or $400 depending on condition. I use the tillers too. Dont have any to sell right now, but there are three here to use between the kids and myself. You have to bear in mind that my comments are from my experience. Theres no law in concrete saying what a piece of equipment is worth. Its all relative to quite a few different variables. The lookers here asking what something is worth need to take all the advice given and average the quotes on prices. I say $200, you say $300. Average about $250 between the two of us. That way one gets a " general " idea of what their stuff is worth across the board. Nothing to get all excited about by any means....

Sam, Like I said "I respect your experience". I think you just said you'd not sell a certain type of tiller for less than $350 to $400... well take my $300 and average that. I'd say they are more worth $325-375. I agree that I see many tillers go for $200, are they good? Are they not like all those beat mower decks out there? :) mg P.S. Interesting discussion.

I sell good 36" tillers for 300 with pulleys and belts. I till with a 38" on a soveriegn and Ultima. There's no replacement for displacement. Have a 36" now that I haven't decided what to do with. Spring is the time to sell them.

As I projected above, that's what kind of town this is. Craftsmans are probably the reigning yard kings here with the green stuff close behind. People around here arent big spenders when it comes to quality. I watched a 18hp Craftsman with mechanical problems sell for $370 the other night.