Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Catch of the day

Jovee

This is my new blue 738 I drug home saturday (#28). Just needs a coil or condenser to run again and some new paint. Came with the free spinning blower and tiller and a second deck all for $128. I tried to convince the wife how much easier it would be to do her 4'x 10' garden but I don't think she was born yesterday :D

IMO, that one's a candidate for a complete refresh/restoration, since they're so rare... Having a 3-speed, it's a great working little machine, and parts are much easier to find than for some other Homies...

Having the two 728s and one 738 in the git r done pile leaves me with a wealth of parts but only one 728 is set up to run this tiller. One way or another it will work. Discovered the starter will be needing replaced also but thats minor. Are these really that rare? I've heard somewhere that Simplicity only made these for HL one year. Repainting shouldn't be too bad. The bonus is all the decals are in good shape -

I dont see any at all around here. I did some looking in the Simple Tractors page but didnt pick up much more than I already knew. Maybe Sam will wander in here -

This will be another dumb city boy question; With this being my first tiller, will I have to add weight to the front of the tractor to use it? Hooking it up will be a challenge too. No belts or hardware but I love a challenge -

quote:
Originally posted by Jovee
I dont see any at all around here. I did some looking in the Simple Tractors page but didnt pick up much more than I already knew. Maybe Sam will wander in here -
I thought my ears were burning for some reason:D To my knowledge the Homelites built By AC ended early to mid 1974 and Simplicity continued producing them in their version through 1975. By the end of that year they were apparently totally discontinued. Homelite then went to Jacobsen for their lawn tractors. I have a CT 10 here we got for $20 last spring. Looks like new, but the wiring was hacked up. That was an easy fix. Its the long version of the T-8 with a 10 hp engine. Identical to the Simplicty System 5010. Around here I fin a Homelite tractor about once a year or every other year. They are not too plentiful. As long as you have the bracket that bolts to the tractor that the tiller drops into you are OK. The rest of the parts are not too difficult to fabricate. If they ever had the tiller on it the pulley should already be on the transmission shaft and the belt stops should be ther too. You are probably only missing the belt and lift rod. The only detractor on those tillers is you dont have "live" power to operate them with. Everytime you step on the clutch or try to ride the clutch to slow down you kill the power to the tiller. I find they work best in soft ground that you have previously tilled on a yearly basis. Sod is definately out of the question unless you enjoy being catapulted across the yard at warp speed;) They work good blowing snow. All you need is a cab now..

Thanks Sam! When did Simplicity and AC start making them for Homelite? You are right about the lift rod being MIA. I dont have the belt for the blower or tiller but I don't imagine that will be any problem. It does have the pulley on the rearend for the tiller but I'm not sure about the stops. I will give the 728 a look for stops too. It seems like all of the necessary mounting brackets are there just minus the bolts and pins. Are these lift rods hard to come by in blue? It probably wont matter the color since it will be repainted as close a match I can get to that shade of blue next summer-

AC first built the Homelites in 1971. They were the same( big Garde tractors) until 1973 when they lightened up the steel used in the front frame, altered the front axle, and changed the implement hitch spacings to the Simplicity measurements, otherwise they looked pretty much the same as the 71-72 units. In 1973 I speculate that AC knew they were going to buy back Simplicity back in 1974 and were making an attempt at having the implements interchange with the Simplicity look alikes they were going to build later in 1974. The lawn tractors like the T-8 were mechanically the same as yours, but the hoods and dash supports were different. They looked like small versions of the T 10 through T 16. As to your lift rod, you will likely have to find a Club member who has one and a digital camera who is willing to take pictures and put the measurements on the picture so you can fabricte one. Its not exactly a simple rod because I believe they have a bend in them and are not straight.

I didnt know there were any differences between them other than paint. I have a '73 code on the engine and it uses the regular starter setup. Will the serial number tell me anything about manufacture date and were the Homelites built in a different plant? As for the rod, maybe one will turn up in the classifieds or somewhere. I wouldnt mind getting an eyeball on one so I know what I'm after. Thanks Sam -

Whats the entire code # on your engine? Curious as to how early in the year it was built. As to the tractor serial numbers, I have no information relating to those. I have put together my timeline on when this stuff was made from dated magazine ads, sales brochures and engine code numbers on the tractors I have come across. Most all my info is related to the Bigger garden tractors. As to the smaller units I have not researched those a whole lot.

Sam - The code on the engine says it was done 1/10/73. The picture below is my tiller hitch (keep in mind this is the first one I've ever owned). I assumed the lift rod attached to the top somewhere near the blue arrow but also have this short rod at the yellow arrow. Is that the lift rod there? Kenny -where would your cable thing attach?

My 712 uses a cable instead of a rod,between the sleeve hitch on the rear,and the electric lift(or hand lift on yours ).

Joe, From what I can see, if you turn that yellow arrow around I believe it would be pointing to where the lift rod attaches.

Here's a couple of manuals that might help: http://www.simplicitytechpubs.com/6767PRINT/PDF_files/TP_100_2873_00_AT_S.pdf http://www.simplicitytechpubs.com/6767PRINT/PDF_files/TP_400_196_00_AT_S.pdf

• 5 weeks later...
Hey Joe I'mm a neewbee at old homelites I just picked up a CT-10 & it looks the same as yours do you know check mine out Sticklor B-112

Hi Paul, Im new to the blue versions myself. I didnt know much history but Sam has helped out greatly in filling in the holes. I know they are the harder ones to come across and wasted no time getting one of my own when it became available. All I need now is the Homesteader to complete the Broadmoor lookalike contest. Best of luck to you on yours. Finding a running 10 should be easy. Welcome to the T club!