Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

garden flame thrower

Daz

After the wettest winter/spring for some time my bottom paddock is alive with weeds. I have used a broad spectrum herbicide -several times with some effect but now want to plant some tomatoes and pumpkins. With this in mind i was wondering if anyone had made a garden flame thrower to tow behind their tractor to kill weeds between rows. i was planning to use an LPG (natural gas)as my fuel but was wondering how to maximise the heat at the nozzle. I have already made the trailer to tow the cylinder as I use it to tow water down to new trees at the bottom of the paddock. any suggestions greatly appreciated.

I kind of have to agree with Elon on this one. Is that a bird, A plane, No, That's just Darren trying to kill the weeds in the garden.lol

Do like the old tobaco farmeres did.Fireup the old steam engine and put a tub down keep the hose at about 10 psi for a hour or two and you will have no more weeds. I have a freind that does that and it works great.Bob

We used an LP(propane) type setup. The only way to moderate the heat is to use seperate regulators on each neck. I had a 3 burner system that used knobs almost like a grill, to control flow. Using one regulator off the tank does not allow you to control each flamer seperately. Its alot of work and you must handle all with extreme care. We had the flamers out almost 8 feet from the tail of the trailer, using only a 30# LP tank. Still makes me shiver to this day thinking about it. Good Luck

Darren would it not be simpler to cut the weed down or till them under, and cover the area with black plastic or mulch to control the weeds. I'm with the others in thinking you might be asking for touble with the burning thing.

• 4 weeks later...
Yes -- the garden flame thrower version 1 is up and burning!}:) it has been difficult to locate parts for the flamer - so i have built a small version for use in the main garden bed (15mX8m) - and will make the one for the tractor when i locate the parts Anyway attached to a 9kg gas bottle is a 3/8” gas regulator then 2m of gas hose then a torch handle (which allows for a small flame and when the handle is pressed a large hotter flame, attached to the handle is 1m of lpg metal tubing which i attached to a broad 50mmj flame burner - as shown in the picture below having used it the other day it kills weeds very effectively i plan to mount the 9kg cylinder to a back pack that i am currently making

Looks a lot like what we call a weed burner, most common use in Alaska is to stick in a couple 4 inch pieces of stove pipe to direct the heat under your pick-up engine so you can start it at 50 below. Did that for many years before I got flip-the-switch electric, now I'm lazy, plug in when I get home, turn the switched outlet on couple hours before I wanna go, never go outside.