Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

engine, any good???

ehertzfeld

Just surfing the net tonight, and ran into this. I never heard of these and was just wondering if they are any good. Could be a decent replacment engine if so. http://www.surpluscenter.com/item.asp?UID=2005102520453894&item=28-1492-E&catname=engines Oh this web site has a bunch of hydralic stuff. There prices seem to be reasonable. Elon

heck, if you could get a 20hp for close to that price, it would be good for people running the vacuums... (with all the power being stolen) cool-thanks

Looks like a copy of a Robin or Honda. I wouldn't think it would come anywhere near replacing a cast iron Briggs or Kohler.

I went to a Chuck Homier traveling tool sale last weekend. They had a 13 Hp engine that looked just like the Powertrain engine, but had a Chinese name on it that I can't remember. Those were being sold for $260. I considered buying one just to try it out, but didn't. Sure looked small compared to the 13 Hp castiron B/S on my 713S. If I hadn't had the three or four rebuildable castiron engines in the garage, I might have bought one of those engines to try it out.

A friend of mine with a small engine shop has been using these for replacements on some light industrial applications, they run pretty good. He had one that blew right away, but the guy replaced it. Mike

I don't know, one question is how easy would it be to adapt it to your application. Footprint, shafts and other things need to be checked. I would think it could be made to work. I saw something similar at Northern not long ago, they do look smaller, but part of that is the angle of the cylinder (not straight up and down). Bt it does look smaller. Makes me think they really underestimated the HP of those early Briggs and Kohlers and Wisconsins. I saw numerous old Briggs, etc. at the tractor show in Arden this past weekend, from $50 to $300. Guess I'm just partial to the real McCoys.

I agree with Maynard on this one. Since I built two motorcycle engine pulling tractors from the ground up, and helped to construct a circle track car, swapping engines on a garden tractor has become easy. No doubt that a Powertrain engine could be mounted on any Simplicity or AC tractor. Might take a little re-engineering, but that is the fun of it for me.

Elon et al; I bought one of these Honda clone engines about a year ago off eBay for my pressure washer update project. If you search for " 13hp engine" on eBay, you'll see a ton of them. Mine was the recoil start only version and I paid ~~ $260.00 including shipping for it. A power equipment dealer here gave me the low down on how Honda "lost it" to the Chinese. Honda was using a Chinese company to sub-contract some parts for their GX series engines. Well, their legal department missed some critical import/export exclusivity clause with allowed them to copy the entire engine(s) design and parts with 100% compatiblity/inter-changability! There are many name labels of these motors floating around with diffent paint schemes/etc here and abroad. Note that they are not Honda quality, but for about 1/3 the price, who cares? The importer I got mine from had testimonials and stats saying they are very durable. If you can get Honda replacement parts which directly interchange and are compatible, that should put one's mind at ease (somewhat)? That 13hp Honda is going for about $700 last time I checked. I'd say that $479.00 from Surplus Center is about 50% too high. Tom(PK)

Personally I think the $479.00 could be put to much better use rebuilding a Briggs/Kohler. That could be enough to rebuild a couple, and if maintained they'll give you another 30 or 40 years and probably more torque.

quote:
Originally posted by HubbardRA
I went to a Chuck Homier traveling tool sale last weekend. They had a 13 Hp engine that looked just like the Powertrain engine, but had a Chinese name on it that I can't remember. Those were being sold for $260. I considered buying one just to try it out, but didn't. Sure looked small compared to the 13 Hp castiron B/S on my 713S. If I hadn't had the three or four rebuildable castiron engines in the garage, I might have bought one of those engines to try it out.
Rod, The Homier tool sale that stops by here has them for sale too. I was talking to one guy who bought one a year ago to power his log splitter and it's holding up fine so far. I too have a few cast irons laying around with varying horsepower.I don't think i'll need a knockoff Honda for a good long while.

I had a knitting machine company as client.The machines they made were approximately $500,000.00 and about 150 employees.Three years ago they SOLD 2 to China and they copied them.My client is now out of business.Where the he** is our government to protect these medium sized companies.A giant like Honda can't protect themselves how can small business without government help.The Chinese are communist when they need cheap labor and capitaists when it comes to selling and corporate dealings.