Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

lawn roller ?

tj13

who has used a roller on an established lawn? my new neighboor said he has used his to flatten out his lawn at his old house. said it works great,every fall and spring.he has no lawn here currently so i cant see any results yet. any thoughts?

You can read a lot of opinions about this over in the Yahoo Lawn Care Forum. I have to agree with Ray, aerating is much better. Compressing your soil makes it very hard for grass roots to grow, for water and nutrients to get down to the roots, and for organisms to get up and decompose thatch or lawn clippings. Out of curiosity, does this neighbor also fertilize 4 times a year with a synthetic product? If you do go over to the Lawn Care Forum, you may also want to do a search on organic lawn care. I switched a few years ago, best move I ever made.

Aerating as memsioned is much better,using one that pullout a plug. when rains the plug dissolves and after a # of year will do some leveling. I have both roller and aerator. I ownly use the roller when I plant grass to get good contacted with the soil.

I'll usually roll it in the spring to flatten out, my son loves to pull it around so I don't have to. Of course with a Simplicity you are basically rolling it everytime you mow too.

If you must roll to level do it then Aeration after that for decompaction Pro advice from the production manager at work. See my profile. The roller on the deck does not put alot of down force on lawn. It's there to bend the grass for the Simplicity/AC stripe we all want and love.

flatten out and compact...duh, did not even think about that. core and fert. naturally of course. i did drive over some bumpy areas that where caused by some construction,i see what the weight of the tractor and i did. thanks for the common sense. whats the web site about lawn fert? yahoo---got it...

Well, I use the roller to flatten out the moles. Or I just run Granny around on their hills and they go away for a while ;-}. ddh

Maybe you need to get these off ebay for a roller. http://cgi.ebay.com/Garden-Tractor-steel-wheels-wheel-horse-sears-cub-ect_W0QQitemZ7721147547QQcategoryZ82247QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem