Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

6216 Steering Wheel

John C

Hi, First off thanks for the advice and the links - I now have manuals and have done the initial maint on the tractor. As I mentioned before, the steering wheel on this tractor is a bit of a nightmare. Just pushes down onto the the steering post assembly. The receiver on the wheel seems to be plastic and is now to wide for the stem. It wobbles and came off in my hands a couple of times going up hill. I would imagine that this is a common problem. Anyone had this in the past and found a neat way to fix it? I am considering various options at the moment, none of which seem very good. Many thanks, John

If its a Steering wheel to fit the rectangular shaft section that is held on with a nut on the threaded end of the steering shaft then you will need to likely replace it. Good news is that alot of MTD lawn tractors use the same type of wheel. Not the exact look to the outside molding , but fits on the same sort of shaft. I usually rob one of those to use.

If it is the same steering wheel that is on a 917H the part number you need is 1667108 and has been superceded by 1685187. I bought a new one last spring for $30.00 at a dealer.