Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Best Tractor Purchase Time

While still looking for another tractor to purchase I began to wonder when the best time of the year to go searching. Is it Fall, Summer, etc? Most of my efforts have been using eBay. Are there any other sources to search for tractors?

I can't say when the best time of the year for sure is but spring can bring out the bargains and the expensive but seems to be when the largest selection is available. Around here there is a thick newspaper type booklet called the "Paper Shop" that usually has about three pages of lawn equipment in it. I don't know if it is just local or not.

Tractors are the cheapmans hobby, though I find I've invested a lot in my tractors. Try going to the next class of tractors, then to cars, then to boats and then to houses. Look how many tractors many in this club have, then note how many people with the farms have cars, boats, etc. Houses are really not in the same class as the iron/plastic (boats), but they do model the hot-cold selling/buying times and the fact there are always deals out there. The question on a tractor deal is do you want to start with an abortion or if you want to buy a nice classic. Same with cars, boats, and houses. So when are the deals... depends on the economy, depends on the interest of people, probably follows Spring and Fall, like cars, boats and houses. I'd say people are more anxious to buy anything in the Spring (the start of the year) and we all want to hide the stuff when the leaves fall (unless you don't have leaves?) The myth that snow tools sell better in the fall is wrong, I've sold more plow blades in the Spring.

Best time is when someone sells one with no reserve, and nobody else is interested in bidding on that one. Probably fall or winter, since nobody is thinking about mowing at that time of year, and this is the primary usage for most people.

Ebay is real popular. Too many people getting all hot and bothered at every auction. That's where you sell if you want to get top dollar nowadays. Only good time to buy on Ebay is in an auction where the seller spells the name wrong (Simplicty, Alis) or maybe when the auction ends like at 2 p.m. on a Thursday. I like the online classifieds on the ytmag.com (Yesterday's Tractors) web site. Just my opinion.

Anytimes a good time to get a tractor. The best deal's are the ones you wait for and the price is right. I'm guilty of paying too much for some items or attachments, but most of my purchases have been on my terms rather than some take it or leave it price.

I have ran into good deals on tractors in all seasons of the year. I usually find the great deals with in 10 miles of home.

From Running my ads in the paper collecting junk and non working tractors I get the best results from the ad during the months of MArch & April and then also in Late September,October, and early Novemeber. If I am trying to buy running units at an Auction, best time to buy is the middle of winter after its snowed. They even get cheaper if its snowing out during the sale...unless a blade or blower is included :D

i really don't think tractor's are "cheapman's" hobby.I have 25 antique cars.Every year of T-Bird in convertible from 1955-1966,4 Lincoln convertibles,a Golden Hawk,Gran Turismo Hawk and a Avanti,a Rolls Royce and a few others.They are are in great to mint shape and are all naturally garaged.The tractors for me are just another hobby that I actually get to use to do some work.I get a kick out of rebuilding them,finding them,searching for implements,talking to the guys on this site and most of all I can enjoy myself and the little woman thinks its work related.You know how they hate it when think you really enjoy something.I have 4 large frame tractors 7116 H,7116-6,914-6 and a 719H.I have aquired thousands of dollars of implements that I will probably never use but like all collectors "just had to have it".A 540 PTO that mounts sideways that virtually won't connect to anything but had to have.On go on ebay to buy 16hp Kohler and Briggs single cylinder engines and have bought five.And they ain't cheap especially if you don't need them.In the winter it is hard to work on the cars but I do all my tractor work in one building I have that has heat and I can do most of the overhauling by myself.How do you pull a motor out of a car by yourself????

quote:
A 540 PTO that mounts sideways that virtually won't connect to anything but had to have.
Just find a antique Ottowa Crosscut saw that runs on a 540 pto and cut you firwood logs to length with that for splitting on your splitter. I sold a 7114 to a guy here who ended up wanting a 540 PTO I then sold him for just that sort of thing.