Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Honda makes (made) tractors?

I didn't know Honda has a tractor. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7721183213&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1 It looks strange but 4WD and 4 wheel steering. Impressive! I checked Honda's website and couldn't find any tractors. Did they stop making them?

Honda stopping making (or at least importing) tractors quite a few years ago, and parts are becoming harder and harder to find -- and more expensive.

I finally found a little information on this tractor online. The tractor still looks very impressive to me. How many small tractors are made with 4 wheel steering? Why did they stop making or importing them? My guess is that they were just too good (read expensive) for the market here.

I wanted to buy a Honda tracor when I first was in the market 7 years ago. Right about then is when they stopped selling them. I had rented a Honda from the local Rent-A-Tractor shop. I was very impressed. The rental place said it was completely trouble-free. I was disappointed not to be able to buy a new one. I then came across a used Simplicity, and bought it. I now have 3 Simplicities, all bought used. I don't want a Honda anymore. Tacey

quote:
Originally posted by Beeser
How many small tractors are made with 4 wheel steering? Why did they stop making or importing them? My guess is that they were just too good (read expensive) for the market here.
Well, MTD made one that was a total flop and failure...

I know were there is two Hondas! I don't think there 4 wheel steer, but I know one is water cooled!!Oh there both for sale BTW Elon

quote:
Originally posted by Kent
quote:
Originally posted by Beeser
How many small tractors are made with 4 wheel steering? Why did they stop making or importing them? My guess is that they were just too good (read expensive) for the market here.
Well, MTD made one that was a total flop and failure...
True on the MTD and there was also a Craftsman with 4 wheel steering. I dont know the model but it's red and I know where it's parked. Do Steiners count? ;) I see the Hondas occasionally on ebay but they end up too high all the time. I would like to get one to see what makes it tick. Some were watercooled I believe -

quote:
Originally posted by UCD
Simplicity made some attachments for Honda tractors. Snowblowers for one.
yup, learned that from the simp. dealer in town. honda must have R&D shopped around and decided that using a simp. snowblower was probably the best route out there.

I actually first saw that Honda at my old Simplicity dealer outside Orland Park, IL. The dealer was really impressed by it, but it was extremely expensive. I'm not sure, but I want to say it was around $8k back in the mid to late 80s.

quote:
Originally posted by Ronald Hribar
I understand starters for the Honda tractors are next to impossible to obtain.
You're dog-gone right! I've had a Honda 3810 and 3813 and both of them needed starters. It cost $500 for the starter for the 3810 and I didn't feel like shelling out $350 for the starter for the 3813 so I sold it for $150 to a guy who wanted it for parts.