Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Football Tractors

Jovee

Every so often I see a Simplicity tractor done up in the Green Bay Packers style (one wonders why [:0] ) on ebay for sale. Did they only do cheesehead machines since the factory is there or were they done for other teams too? One for a real team like our Steelers :D would be a neat item to have -

They made about a dozen football tractors,some college teams and the rest where pro teams.They where only built one year,I believe in 97.

Joe, Yes, there were Steeler's tractors. I have never seen one, but I think Sandy Lake Imp. sold one. I hope it is sitting in a nice warm garage all shined up for the football season. Go Steelers Jim

quote:
Originally posted by Jovee
... One for a real team like our Steelers :D would be a neat item to have -
That would be neat, Jovee... Maybe one could be the "Jack Lambert Edition", with the center of the grille knocked out...lol Here we go, Steelers... Tacey

My wife is a die hard Patiots fan, one cane up on Ebay in NH a few weeks back, I wanted to bid on it for her but she dint want it. I thought it would be kida neat owning it. Elon

Hi, The sports tractors were the idea of then president Tom Fruechtel. He came to Simplicity from a sporting background. His son asked him one day if everyone sells shoes, clothes, etc based on sports, Why not tractors. They built 300 Packer Backer tractors. Limited edition. Very successful. I was up to the factory for the Simplicity 75th anniversary reunion. This person was a promoter, he concieved the 1000 tractor parade and the Anniversary Sovereign. As I remember we didn't have quite 1000 tractors in the parade, but around 900 give or take. Anyway it was enough to break the Guiness book of Records. It was quite an experience to be in the midst of nearly 1000 of these Sovereigns all running at once. The program was a dealer purchased an anniversary tractor at nearly retail and it was your ticket to the reunion and the festivieties. When you went to the area where all of the tractors were parked, you opened your packet and took out the serial number plate and put it on your tractor. You cannot imagine the chaos at the end of the parade, with 900 tractors parked all over and up the side streets etc. Was a neat experience. Anyway back to the topic. While I was up there, I read in the classified of Packer Backer tractors, never mowed with for sale at $7000.00, This was just a few months after they had sold new for around 3300. One person had bought one and put it in his rec room and sat on it the watch the Packers play. Since they were a limited edition, they were a hot item. The company then went on to build another batch of slightly different Packer backer tractor and 9 other Pro teams and 10 college team tractors. The idea was great. It just flopped. I am from Iowa and the Iowa Hawkeyes and Cyclones are the biggest attractions in the state. We have no pro teams. I thought the Hawkeye tractors would be the hottest thing since popcorn. I sold about ten of them, but it was over about 4 years. I still don't understand it. I heard licensing for the logos was in the 200 to 250 range on the college team tractors and 400 to 500 each for the pro team tractors. I thought the guy was a genius, and that program was certainly a prudent risk. Even the 2nd series Packer Backer tractors weren't the rage. The program crashed and within a year or so Tom was replaced by Jim Wier. Tom was a cool guy, he set up about 10 Fireside meetings with dealers around the country and they were round tables, he was in slacks and sweater. Was just like one of the guys. He explained about the dollars that Simplicity had committed to new product and the needs the company had for dealers to carry their share of the load, etc. He asked about various product lines we thought they should or should not look at and for ideas they could explore. I felt he represented the culture of Simplicity. Last I knew he was the CEO of Leupold, the rifle scope people. We deal with many companies and Simplicity stands out as the abolute best we deal with. It is something about the culture there, it is like talking to and dealing with family. I have great fear that Briggs might destroy this, I pray not. After meeting and talking with Joe Wright, I am somewhat comforted, he seems very open and low key and seems to understand what Briggs really got. A number of the employees I know and deal with have said, that he has made a great effort to get to know and talk to the employees. Sorry you asked the time and I tried to tell you how to build a watch. Al Eden

Al, what was the difference between 1st and 2nd edition Packer tractors and what 9 pro teams made the cut? I have yet to see any around here. Maybe TV commercials during some of the games would have been good marketing strategy. One of the 75th Anniversary tractors would be the holy grail to me. Wish I could afford one -

Joe, I think I have all of these. Gators, Woverines, Nittany Lions, Spartons, Hawkeyes, Badgers, Panthers. I bilieve two more college tractors were scheduled to happen and didn't make it. Eagles, Lions, Bears, Vikings, Packers, Giants, Cowboys, Patriots, Colts, Chiefs, Steelers, and a Superbowl tractor. Am trying to attach a couple of brochure pics I still have. Hope this works. And thanks to whoever bails me out if they red X. Sorry, I can't do it here. I will post the pics separately. Al Eden

Hi, Hope I can get the Sports Tractors posted. Thanks to whoever helps me with the Red Xs if they happen. Related to previous post.

Thanks Al Eden

Al, I believe you missed one team. The Volunteers should be added to the list of college teams and the Panthers tractor should be in the list of the pro teams.

Hi, I agree, this is the two I was unsure of. I remember the Volunteers. I couldn't remember all of the teams, and went to Part Smart and looked up the models. Sorry I missed those, and thanks for memtioning it. Al Eden

Would that be the Pitt Panthers instead of Carolina? That would be interesting if they did that one. Thanks for the pics Al! I'll keep watch for the black n gold one -