Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Oil filter?

My 710 Kohler engine has no oil filter. When did they add an oil filter to the configuration?
My tractor is a 78/79. Is there a way to retro an oil filter?
Tuffy.

Hello Tuffy - don't feel bad that you don't have an oil filter. Some of these engines are running 30+ years without one. The "secret" is to change the oil regularly. The interval varies with the conditions and enviorment used in. Some will say that oil is a cheap investment and change it as soon as it gets dark in color. All in all from my experience if you have your mower "sized" right for the property and change it 2-3 times a year you are doing more than most people. The MOST IMPORTANT thing though is to check the level every time before use and top it off if need be. Dip stick styles need to be removed, wiped off and reinserted to check proper level - otherwise crankcase vacuum may have the initial reading higher than actual. Always go by the lowest reading that you have on the stick and when adding oil allow some time for it to settle to get an accurate reading.
Another "secret" is not to let the air filter get plugged up with dirt and grass debris - once this happens the air looks for other ways to enter the engine (unfiltered). The dryer the cutting conditions - the more often the air filter needs to be checked.

Thanks for the information and advice Jeff. I know my 710
does not have the kick it once had and probably needs rings. I do monitor the oil
closely and will pay more attention to the air filter as well. It is an
oil foam filter. Do they make a paper filter now? I will probably give
the old kohler an overhaul this coming winter as it hits the 20 year anniversary of when I bought it new.

Tuffy.