Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Chipper/Shredder

Had the notion to get a chipper/shredder today and thought that something might be available to power off of my Pow'rmax. Never mind anything being available here in the Southwest but are they elsewhere? Are they typically 3-point attachements? I did come across a self-powered unit locally that had a 5 hp B&S engine. It was an older machine made by Kemp. I would've bought the machine but the seller promised to temporarily hold it for a guy. It's mine if he doesn't show up by tomorrow. In the meantime, does anyone have any suggestions on what to look for in buying a chipper/shredder?

I picked up a (used twice) shredder/chipper this spring and have not been impressed. There are two types of cuters, 1- a flailling unit and, 2- a knife unit, thats for the big stuff. All usually have some kind of a hopper that will take the smaller twiggs and leaves. The unit i have is a 5hp flailing unit and it under powered big time. The better units are the knife units the ealier and still avalable single knife units, and the better two knifes units, they work well. Basiclly i think my flailling shredder will work if I remount it on the back of my AC 110 and use the back PTO and not try it use the very nice 5hp Briggs, its just to small. Flailling is just what it sound lick. Typicaly there are a set of three sliger bars mount on the out side of the fan blower that beats the limb. The knife units have very sharp, one or two knifes mounted on the side of the blower. As you insert the limb it is plained off a lot like a shaper/plainer found in your wood working shop. I dont feel to bad I did not pay very much for my shredder and i do have a use for the 5hp Briggs. Plus the guy threw in a self propeled snow bolwer, a Wheelhorse B80 tractor and deck, and snow blade, chains. There are a ton of chipper shredder out there, but you get what you pay for. The cheeper units may be the Flailling or knifes you need to ask or look real close. Hope this helps you out..

My neighbor and I bought a 5 HP chipper/shredder at a rummage sale for $50.00 It has paid for it self five times over as a chipper. Not much good as a shredder, but then a few circles around the pile with a 48" mower deck pretty well shreds stuff dowm and in a week it has blended itself into the landscape.

I have a Renegade 250.8 chipper shredder with an 8hp briggs engine. I got it used but it runs very well. The feed chute for the branches has some welding where it attaches to the side. Otherwise it's in good shape. I haven't chipped any wood with it but did run a pile of bamboo, or what we call bamboo, through it and it did a very good job of chopping that up. I also have a MacCissic shredder/mulcher for the back of the landlord type tractors. Haven't used it but the guy I got it from said it worked good for cleaning up the corn stalks and other vegetation from his garden at the end of the season.

Figure out what you want to use it for and take a sample to test the machine. Some have fairly low size restrictions (e.g. nothing with a diameter larger than 1 inch). Make sure it can do what you want it for.