Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
Mick14

intake valve

Mick14
the intake valve in my 8 hp tecumseh isn't closing or opening very far,and if i pull up on it it travels up about 1/2 inch...i thought that when it quit,that i had sheared the flywheel key,but this is what i found,,any ideas on what did happen ? thanks

HubbardRA
Sounds like one of two things happened. Either the lobe on the camshaft has rounded off, or if that engine has the threaded, adjustable lifters, then the adjustment has come loose and has too much clearance between the cam lobe and follower. I would pull the access cover and check the valve clearance first. This should help you determine where the problem really is.

slb04786
Mick, Probably the same thing that happened to my 7116. The keepers that hold the compressed spring onto the end of the valve stem had come out. This allowed the valve to "float". The valve would sometimes drop down and the tractor would start & run but not very good. I found my problem by taking compression test. The compression was all over the place 25-125#. I removed the head and the intake valve could be lifted right out. I got at mine through the cover behind the carb. The keepers are a 2 piece tapered clip. I only found 1 piece of mine. I spent the rest of that Sat. trying to find a small engine place that had spare ones. I paid $5 for a set and the tractor has worked fine every since. They are a bugger to put in.

Mick14
I found the lower valve spring retainer broke,the center part that gripped the valve stem broke out of the part the spring sat in,should be able to get one locally,but it looks like a knuckle buster to put back together.could have been worse,right.