Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Papa, Mama, & Baby

Tacey

I vagely remember when my lawn looked like that. Then the rain stopped a few months ago & the grass died. The tractors are nice but the grass is to die for.

Those are som great stripes and some very nice tractors. Haven't been able to mow with my b-110 for a ver long time. Benjmain

Thanks for the nice comments, guys. The photos make the yard and the tractors look a little nicer than they really are. The tractors are reasonably clean, but they are for working. The lawn appears especially nice since we've had a wet spell these last few weeks. Plus I was pretty liberal with the Turf Builder the last application. I took the pics with the sun to my back. That angle really sets off the striping. IMO, the cheapest and smallest of the tractors cuts the best. That little Yeoman will surprise you with it's working capability. The middle picture was cut by the Yeoman. Really sharp stripes. I'll post more pics once the snow flies, and I get the snow blades mounted on the Broadmoor and Landlord. Tacey

Since I have a 716H, a 713S, a 61 Wards, and a 7116H, guess I can call them Papa, Momma, Grandpa, and Uncle Ed. Wish I had enough grass to stripe. 1/3 acre with the very cluttered back yard, doesn't leave much open area. I love to aggrivate one of my neighbors. He fires up his push mower and starts on his front yard. I will start up my tractor with 48 inch mower. By the time he has 1/3 of his yard finished, I am done and heading for the back yard. He thinks it is overkill on my part, but I am the one who can drink a beer and watch him mow the rest of his yard.

Well, HubbardRA, I guess one man's aggravation is another's pleasure. One reason I enjoy the little Yeoman is because it takes longer to finish the job...:D One of the few things my wife complains about is..."You mean the grass needs cut again???[:0] I'm reminded of Forrest Gump when you see Forrest cutting his giant lawn with the little rider, happy as a clam. Tacey

Randy, I didn't mean anything derrogatory about riding these great tractors, or your use of your family of tractors. I love mine, and I love productive seat time. Mine all are workers and are used extensively. Many times I use them for jobs that the average person would not even think of using a garden tractor for. To me, cutting my small lawn is not really a pleasure, it is more of a nuisance, especially in the heat of the summer. I take pride in my tractors because I can do a great job of mowing in a much shorter time than my neighbors. This frees up time for other things, like making improvements to my other tractors. I grew up on a farm of 175 acres. We kept around 7 acres mowed with riding lawnmowers. I always looked forward to mowing for several hours. You could get a lot of thinking done while riding that mower. As I said, my current lawn is small, and requires mowing around a lot of trees and shrubbery. There are no really large open areas to cut. Since I can't have a beautiful lawn like yours, I take pride in the fact that I can cut mine quickly. Again, as I said before, I meant nothing derrogatory toward you. I was talking about the neighbor who had nearly as much money invested in his self-propelled push mower as I do in the AC that I mow my lawn with. I plan to retire before too much longer, and am looking for some land where I can have a large, beautifully striped lawn like yours. I did not mean to put down your tractor family, or your lawn, if that is what you thought I meant.

Absolutely no offense taken at all, Rod. I enjoy playing with words as well as playing with the tractors. I tried to relay my levity by using the icons ---> :D[:0] This is a fun hobby to me. Lawn maintenence and landscaping is such a pure drugery to many folks. I like to look at the bright side, enjoy the fresh air, and take pride in the finished product. It's also a lot of fun to hang out with other yard and garden buffs. (Notice my # of posts...lol). Tacey

You have a very nice collection of tractors.Your lawn loks Great.I love to work out in the yard with mty tractor and attachments seeing the end product is great.I cant farm because it cost to much but i do farm in a sense because i work my yard over thatching my yard,rolling ,spraying and fertilizing .Great pictures..

Tacey, Great pics! You must have very good quality grass to get stripes like that. Is it some kind of bluegrass?

quote:
Originally posted by Chris727
Tacey, Great pics! You must have very good quality grass to get stripes like that. Is it some kind of bluegrass?
Thanks, Chris727. It's a blend called "Penn State Mix". I think it was developed at the Pennsylvania State University at their Agriculture dep't. It has some bluegrass in it, and poa annua. Mainly, the credit goes to Mr. Scott's Turf Builder and Mother Nature giving us a nice damp spell here in Pittsburgh. Tacey