Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

richp

Power steering pump

richp
I finally finished hooking up a power steering pump from a Chrysler Lebaron (89?) that I had kicking around. This pump has a small tank built around it. I mounted it to the front of my 3414 with a small belt running down to the crank. It's tight but it fits and looks factory. I hooked it to a 4 way log splitter valve, and then to the factory lift cylinder. Lots of power, before I adjusted relief valve, it would stall the motor when at end of stroke. I guess my reason for this post is car power steering pumps do work for hydraulic accesories, and the ones with a small tank avoids having to mount one elswhere. The only down side is not being able to use a front pto. I will try to get some pictures later.

HubbardRA
Have a friend who uses power steering pumps to power the hydraulics on two home-built tractors. He has a forklift unit on one, and removable hydraulic dump trailers for both. If you need more reserve fluid, the reservoir can be removed and a line tapped into the intake port that is inside the current reservoir. This can be hooked to the reserve pump, along with a return line. You may need a larger reservoir to eliminate problems with foaming, if the hydraulics are being run constantly. Normally for a hydrolift, this will not be a problem.