Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Pow'r Max Starter Problems

I'm stumped. I just replaced a starter. While the engine was removed and on a bench I hooked up a battery to it to see if it was functioning correctly. Most of the time the starter drive gear would move toward the ring gear but stop short of it and just spin. The cogs look like they would mesh OK if only the drive gear would move further. Any ideas what might be wrong?

I've had some troubles with starters that do that as well. Mostly on outboard marine engines. The starter drive works on Centrifugal Force. Meaning when the starter spins the drive gear is forced outward. Most of the time just a spray of PB Blaster or some kind of lube on the starter shaft behind the drive gear is all that's needed...Best of luck...

The starter placement on Onan engines should be considered 'cruel and unusual treatment' toward Pow'r Max and AC 720 owners. May the responsible engineer spend an extra day in purgatory for the design.

make sure you have the solinoid whire going to the right terminal....When I replanted mine I got it on the wrong lead, and it just bounced off the flywheel like you said...with a little help from my father and some long needle nose plyers we got it back on with out having to pull the engine again

quote:
Originally posted by eagle5473
make sure you have the solinoid whire going to the right terminal....When I replanted mine I got it on the wrong lead, and it just bounced off the flywheel like you said...with a little help from my father and some long needle nose plyers we got it back on with out having to pull the engine again
I think the wires are in the right place because the starter will catch eventually after many turns of the key. I think Al Eden (?) had the cure for this afterall.

Would guess the spring in the solenoid is not centered properly or the shift lever not in correctly. The solenoid should fully engage the drive to the ring gear. Also there is some slop in the starter mounting holes & you can get the gear mesh to tight. I like to adjust so you have just a little backlash The solenoid has to do the engaging, not centrifical force. StanD