Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

6216 limited slip - not working?

John C

Hi, I have noticed that the limited slip diff on my 6216 might not be working. When I got a bit stuck, one wheel span and the other stayed put. I have looked in my repair manual and owner's manual, but am not sure whether everything is as it should be, or what the problem might be. I just does not seem right for that to happen. I have read posts about other transmission types, but am not sure how to go with this one. I would appreaciate any advice on this matter. Best, John

The later model large frame tractors are the only ones, that I know of (7000, 7100 and AC 700, 900 series), that came with a limited slip diff. I have three of them. I didn't think the 6216 had a limited slip diff in it.

Hi, The operator's manual does not mention the limited slip differential, but the tractor has a decal on the back saying it does. I have noticed that when I lift the rear wheels of the ground and spin one, the other rotates in the opposite direction when in gear. Many thanks, John

Fill your tires with washer fluid.It will really cut down on your tire slip.I even filled my front tires to help it turn better.It wanted to keep going straight when trying to turn mowing uphill.

I have a 6211 and a 6216 and although they are limited they will slip more than the ones Rod mentioned. I plow snow with the 6211 and the limited slip does work as both wheels drive till one looses all traction(ice), seems like it should be a little tighter. As far as mowing you should not spin on grass while mowing which is probably all it was designed for.

John, The term is "limited slip" that is used with these diffs. This term is also used with some automobiles. Also is automobiles you will hear the terms "posi-track" or "Detroit Locker". These last two actually will lock both wheels together and one will not spin without the other. In limited slip units, there is some type of friction source that provides a small amount of braking to the spiders to resist the effects of spinning only one wheel. I have a limited slip diff in my 61 Wards, which I have modified to significantly increase the friction force. Did this when we were using it for tractor pulling. Even on that one, if the situation is right, it will spin only one wheel. When we were pulling the telephone poles (previous post), Randy was driving the tractor in second gear at wide open throttle when the end of the pole dug into the ground. Tractor was on a slope so that most of the weight was on one rear wheel, and that wheel stopped turning while the other spun like crazy. Any limited slip diff will spin only one wheel if there is enough difference in the traction between the two. I have also locked the diff on a tractor so that both wheel always turn together. Believe me, you will not want that for general use, because it takes a very large circle to turn the tractor. It wants to go straight and slide the front wheels if the steering is turned sharply. We did this for a while when tractor pulling, and the maneuverability of the tractor is terrible with a locked diff. A locked diff gives you significant steering problems both under situations with good traction and when traction is uneven. I don't recommend locking a diff, for general usage.

Thanks to you all for the info. As you may tell, I am very new to this, but really like my simplicity - a tractor designed using common sense. I have recently moved here from Britain. There are very few garden tractors there since most of the population lives in cities with small yards, and the rest of the land is mainly split into national parks or fairly large farms. I have only had my tractor for a week here, but I have put it to good use already hauling fire wood from one end of my property to another. Once again thanks, Best John

I had the guy next door stick his "limited slip" car in a snow bank some years back. He cam to me for help, and ask why was his back tires sliping. I showed him how it works (in cars any way). I got behind the wheel and put my foot on the brake and also ecellerated reall slow. Then slowlly removd my brake and pulled right out of the snow bank. But that has nothing to do with the rear end in these tractors, Its some what didfferent i think. I allway wanted to have a tractor with indivigual left and right bracks like the tractors we had on the farm. I guess ill have to step up the the Power Max tractors.

dhardin, Some of the Cub Cadets had a disk brake on each rear wheel. I once considered finding a set of those and mounting them on a Simplicity to make steering brakes. Motorcycle disk brakes could also be used. It would take some design and fabrication, especially to get around the diff on a large frame tractor. It can be done. It would also be difficult to mount one on the left side if a tiller or blower were mounted on the rear and required a drive belt from the center PTO. As Maynard has said before, "anything can be done if you have enough time and money". Not sure if that is his exact words, but you can see the meaning.

From my experence i feel it would be a add on the I would use. As long as you did not over work the differential. Allso you would have to loosen up the slip bolt on the end of the axel on the old tractors I have. Something for me to think about this winter....