Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Tecumseh 16 HP Overhead Valve Engine

LesH

Hi-- I read your website and thought someone may be able to give me an idea or two about the 16 HP Tecumseh OH160 (overhead valve side shaft) engine. This engine ran fine this summer but gradually the starting got slower and slower. Problem- it won't turn over on the compression stroke-- I replaced-- 12 volt battery solenoid starter switch new starter battery cables checked all ground and electrical connections. flywheel is not binding up with the starter drive adjusted the valves-- .005 intake and .010 on the exhaust-- measured gap at the TDC on the compression stroke. Unless it is the mechanical compression release inside........ any help appreciated!!!!!!

Hi Les. I recently had an OH180 giving me a hard time. Kept backfiring, had to be something with the valves, so I got rid of the whole tractor. I have had lots of the cast iron tecumsehs, very few of which would run consistently. They seem to be more trouble than they are worth. Though it looks like you've already put a lot into this engine so an engine swap is not practical. The OH160 I believe has the same compression release as the HH100 (10hp) and HH120 (12hp) cast iron tecumsehs. I have an HH120 which is hard to turn over. It really gives the starter a work out. I took the side cover off to inspect the compression release but I couldn't see anything obviously wrong. I also removed the valves and reinstalled, everything was in spec. Not sure why it does it. I do know its really hard to start the tecumseh's with a rope while the Cast iron briggs start with a couple easy pulls. In the case of your engine, it sounds like you've looked at everything but the compression release, so maybe thats the next place to look. I have a lot of teumseh stuff so I might have a good used compression release available if you're going to be looking for one. BTW, I began restoring the B10 I bought from you about a year ago. Hopefully I'll get it done before spring and I'll email you some pics, also pieces from the 2 parts landlords so far have helped save a B12 and a Simplicity 700. Take Care. Chris

Check the thread that's been posted on this topic with Kohler engines... http://simpletractors.com/club2/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=55363 Hopefully some of the replies there might give you some idea. My Homelite chainsaw is getting darn hard to pull; only way I can get it moving is to remove the spark plug. Don't relish the thought of tearing that baby down!

Just worked on an OH170 that had a similar problem. First thing I did was pull the flywheel to see if the key was sheared. No problem there. Next I took the lower case off to check the internal compression release and everything was OK there. I did notice that the balance shafts were not timed properly with the crank and fixed that. I don't think this would cause a starting problem. I replaced the starter because the old one had a slightly bent shaft. Finally I adjusted the valves and after all of that it seems to be working OK. I think the problem was too much valve lash that did not let the compression release hold the valve slightly open.