Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
stevenj

Tecumseh Vibration

stevenj
I have a Commercial grade Snapper 21" push mower that has a 4 hp Tecumseh 2-cycle engine. I was mowing the rough stuff out back and ended up hitting the top of a rock that had pushed up through the ground. The blade hit it but the engine never stopped running. Afterwards, I noticed that it has a vibration when running. I've hit the tops of rocks before with this mower and beside the initial racket, there was never any ill effects. The blade was in rough shape so I replaced the blade, but it made no difference in the vibration. I've since had it running for a couple of hours and it's still intact. Any thoughts on what might be causing the vibration?

Al
HI, Crankshaft is most likely bent. This is a common problem. We have a crank straightener, and straighten quite a few. Most can be straightened. We explain that there is a posobility of breaking the crankcase mounting flanges off, but the engine is no good anyway, so the risk is worth it. We have never had it happen, but it is a possibility. Al Eden

HubbardRA
I have bent several B/S pushmower crankshafts. Usually from a piece of pipe or other metal that one of my boys has left laying in the yard. Once I hit a water meter box. The current push mower that I have was less than two weeks old when the owner hit something and bent the crankshaft. It was given to me. I put another crank out of an old mower in it. Been using it nearly ten years and still starts great and doesn't use any oil. I have also straightened a couple of cranks with a homemade rig. Never been able to get one straight enough that there wasn't still a little vibration. But they mowed good anyway.

Morris
This might be obvious, but check your engine's mounting bolts, too. I have two MTD's I picked up to tinker with, one was a basket case and needed lots of stuff, but ran very smooth once I got it together. The other was complete but had a heck of a vibration. I suspected a bent shaft but could find no play or out-of-round when running. At some point I checked the tightness of the four engine mount bolts, and three were loose. After tightening, the thing was as smooth as the other one. Just a thought.