Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

White Smoke

jrichason

Good Morning, Last weekend I was doing some work at my parents house which is a block or so away. I drove my tractor over there and nothing seemed out of the ordinary. A couple hours later I started it and a lot of white smoke came out of the muffler. I turned it off and finished the project. Later when I drove it home I didn't see anymore smoke. Later in the week I started it again to move it so I could get my Nova out of the shop and it smoked again. The smoke looks more white than blue. Anyone have any suggestions of what to look at? Kind of funny, about a week earlier I noticed the local implements company has a 917H by the road. All of my attachments would fit it so I called to see how much they want. They're asking $1600. Seems pretty steep, but if I can't get my 7116 straightened out I may go see how far they'll come down. Thanks for any suggestions. Have a good day. John

Heres a link that is interesting http://www.repairfaq.org/samnew/lmfaq/lmsmoke.htm . If that 917H is in good mechanical condition it would be worth the $1600.00. You can`t get a new MTD that can do what the 917H can do.

If you have a Briggs 16hp what I think is happening is the carb is leaking down after shutoff and is filling the crankcase and washing the rings on startup.Before you get crazy put a fuel shufoff valve in line and before you put it away for the day kill the gas till it stops don't use the ignition switch to shutdown.Next time you start turn the gas on and see if it smokes.I'll bet it won't.

A 16 Briggs won't leak down into the crankcase. It's an updraft carb. It might leak into the lower carb throat and run ritch on start up, but that would be black smoke. Burt oil will exhaust blue, but unburnt oil will exhaust white. I'd check out the crankcase breather for cleanness, and check for proper oil level. Overfilling it will cause it to pump oil into the carb. and run terrible white. However, you might be exsperianceing a broken ring starting to do damage to the cyl. I've seen a half dozen 16 Briggs w/ broken top rings lately.

Someone once posted an old-timer's rule of thumb that went something like this: Black smoke fuel, white smoke valves, blue smoke rings. I don't recall who posted it, pretty sure that's how it went though....

Thanks for all the feedback! It didn't smoke too bad today. I've been vacuuming up leaves for about four hours. I'll check the breather. Thanks again, John