Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

can anybody tell me anything about a 6216

stevei46

I posted asking what a model 700 on ebay was worth awhile back. and desided to hold out for something newer. i found a simplicity 6216 with a deck, snow blade, rototiller, wheel weights and chains for $500. i know this is a good price but havn't found out anything about these tractors i have had no experiance with briggs twin cly. engines do they hold up well? any input would be appriciated thanks

I've heard the older briggs twins are much better than the newer ones. That tractor should have an older one. The new ones have little carb adjustment possible, if at all, and generally don't run as good.

Good engines but care must be taken to ensure the cooling fins are kept clean and the tin is in place or else they like to spit out an exhaust valve seat. One other note is to keep an extra coil in stock, for some reason I seem to replace a lot on these engines.

I've got a 6216 and my dad has a 6212.5 (virtually identical to 6216). The motors run good and have good power. With the attachements on the one you found, it'll do almost anything.

I've junked a number of these tractor types and as stated the common problems seem to be bad coils, bad valve seats, or I'll add bad starters. Only a couple I have had out of at least a dozen have had a broke rod or crank. I believe they use a splash lube setup like the single cylinders did, so they may not take well on steep banks. I'm using a 18 hp on a AC 616 lawn tractor and I like the way it performs. Theres alot of those twins sitting on Murrays and MTD's that have bad trannys or decks. Makes a good cheap source for parts. Thats where my 18 twin came from... They did make a live power roto tiller for those tractors. If you are lucky its got one of those. On those a short belt goes from engine to a jack shaft and a second belt goes on back through some idlers to the tiller. Neat setup, but alot of the time the tractors get sold and the necessary parts end up missing. The non live power tillers run off a pulley on the transmission. These are not so great.

I had one and I was concerned it was going to fail on me. If I had two of these and I didn't have a B-Series collection, then I would have kept it as it was a nice running machine. I bought it with a broken starter, simple fix and then sold it. It was a brand new looking machine, cut very nice, had a vacuum which you'll see the cart from it I use on my B112. It runs a lot smoother and quieter than my B112 and I don't remember the vibrating bones feeling you get from the old cast iron engines. Any B-Series/Cast Iron machine folks know what I am speaking of?

I have a 6216 with a 48" deck.I bought it from the original owner 2 years ago.Uses some oil,leaks a little(bottom seal) and has a slight knock that should'nt be there.We have 2 acres and the in-laws right behind us have 1-2 acres that we mow with the riders.The 6216 is my first choice to mow with,it does a very nice job.And uses about half as much gas as my 7016.This year with rain coming at the right times all summer,mowing twice a week,it never gave me any problems.

Oh, dcw06 reminded me of the gas consumption on the 6216... I found my B112 (12hp cast iron single) w/ a 42" deck went faster and used less gas. After I used the 48" decks, I killed the consumption of the 6216... it was not too fast. Though I definitely agree it cut the lawn great. It was a sleek nice machine to cut my lawn with. Using the vacuum and the 6216, I'd need to fill the tank each week and every other on the vacuum... killed me on gas compared to the B112. Yes, the 6216 also had some weird knock...

Thanks guys for all your input i bought the tractor now all i need to do is make the trip to lancaster to get it should be in the next 2 weeks hopefully before the snow flys in the mountains. i don't know if you can get to the ebay auction by the item # or not but here it is if you want to take a look at it ebay item # 7723421386 thanks again

Hi, We have some of these we have sold, still running well. I was not aware of a live tiller drive on the 6200. We sold some 6500s (hydro) and they had the live tiller drive, and I don't believe it is convertable to the 6200. Also relative to the valve seats coming out. Briggs is adament that the ONLY thing that will cause the valve seats to come out is 1. Plugged fins or restricted cooling air or heat recirculation problems. 2. Mowing at part throttle. When air cooled engines are working, they should always be run at or near full throttle. Briggs, Kohler, Tecumseh, Kawasaki and Honda all stress this in service schools. Al Eden

quote:
Originally posted by Al
Hi, I was not aware of a live tiller drive on the 6200. We sold some 6500s (hydro) and they had the live tiller drive, and I don't believe it is convertable to the 6200.
I ran across that live power tiller ( MFG # 1691277)in a 4000, 5000, 6000 series attachments and accesories manual . The manual did not state what particular models of those series tractors the attachments fit. My curiosity is aroused now. I need to hunt one of those tillers down and see just how they installl on the tractors. Thanks for the enlightenment Sam