Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Peppy

Mack

At first glance it looks like an economy but the steering is in the middle. Very impressive looking. 20" rear tires? I like it.

Very impressive. I like that tall gear stick Looks easy to shift. Does he have other attachments for it? Deck, blower, blade?

Thanks everyone, my dad finished building this tractor in 1964. I recall him telling stories about how he started out with a 6 hp briggs in it. It has a 1949 mercury car rearend, narrowed & flipped upside-down for ground clearance. The transmission is a chevy truck transmission, it originally was built with two inline. Later he "remodeled" the tractor changing to the current 14hp Briggs. Other changes were a dash redesign, and removing one transmission. In its place he built a quick reverse box, this works similar to the shuttle but does require use of the clutch. The rear tires are 27x8.50x15 ags. He bought these new in the late 60's I think, they replaced snow tires. He also built or modified several attachments for it including the plow (Brinley), cultivators, roller, cultipacker, front blade, 47"mower(J.D), rotary hoe, potato plow, and probably others that I don't even know about. This tractor has been used heavily in its life but is still a very solid machine. This tractor is what got me interested in garden tractors and as you may suspect, ths is where I got my username from! Dan

Dan, You Dad did an outstanding job building the tractor. The proof is the "factory" look and how long it has been servicable. He must be a rare and talented individual. Thanks for sharing with us.

This shows the same quality craftsmanship as the snow cab you built, I think with the help of your brother. It is easy to see where you got your talent and eye for detail.

Dan, While looking at Paul's pictures last night, I was going to mail him and ask what this tractor was. He sure did a fine job on it and it's longevity shows the soundness of his work. Very nice machine!! Joe

I didn't mention the fact that I have Peppy's "cousin" sitting in my barn. My dad and his cousin Lavern were both into tractor pulling. Peppy was so impressive that Lavern decided to build a tractor also and used Peppy as a pattern. He came to look at Peppy several times and the tractor looks very similar. I did not know about this tractor when I found mine at a local junkyard. I could not believe the resemblance. Once I got it home I got the 9 hp Briggs running. Dad came over a few days later and immediatly recognized it and told me the story behind it. Lavern did not have the resources that dad had(tool & die shop), so there are some areas that need attention. I plan to restore it and make a few improvements like maybe fenders, hydraulic lift, front wheel assist and a Kubota diesel that's in my barn. Dan