Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Retainer Ring on 3-Point Hitch

Does anyone have any suggestions or tips on removing the retaining rings on the ends of the 3-point hitch rocker shaft? These would be the ones on a Pow'r Max.

Use the appropriate snap ring or spring clip pliers. A snap ring has two small holes in the ends for the pins in the pliers to hook into. Spring clips are just a round ring with flat ends. both types can also be removed with two small flat tip screwdrivers. Use one screwdriver to pry out clip end. Then insert other screwdriver under the ring to hold it. remove the first screwdriver and insert it under the ring in the opening created by the second screwdriver. Continue around shaft pushing the open end of the spring clip off the shaft.

The spring clips on mine don't have the small holes on the ends for the tool you mention to grab onto. They are just plain ends. I'm sure the same principle can be applied though but not with my spring clip pliers. Perhaps a different design would work better.

They make pliers for both types. Retaining Ring pliers have the pins. Snap Ring pliers have flat ends. I have always called Retaining Rings(snap rings) and what they call Snap Rings (spring clips) I also explained above how to remove both types with a pair of flat bladed screwdrivers. Re-Read The Post Pliers, Retaining Ring [img]http://buy1.snapOn.com/catalog/OBJECTS/19300/19242.JPG[/img] External Snap Ring, Notched Tips [img]http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/OBJECTS/19400/19322.JPG[/img]

Well excuse me for trying to help you. I guess you don't appreciate the help either. And you are the one yelling. It is hard not to get upset with some one that asks the same questions over and over and having to explain the answer 3 or four times just because they do not read the reply completely or do not get the answer they wanted the first time. And not even a thank you for all of the free info.

Thanks for removing the caps by editing your first reply. I've done the same in return. And thanks for the help albeit crudely presented. For the record though, I only repeated my question once not 3 or 4 times as you state. I always appreciate help but I usually don't appreciate rude behavior. Please, let's move on.