Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
Morris

generator/starter

Morris
Guys, I have a starter/generator (Delco/Remy-12v) that's no good, and I'm in need of one. I was planning to install it on my Power King tractor I just bought, but the thing doesn't turn over when current is applied. (It came off my Allis, and I have a whole new motor complete with the starter/gen for the Allis) Question: I have seen a number of these starters often with slightly different part numbers. The Power King has a 9 or 10 horse Briggs FB-23 engine, but I will have to fabricate a bracket for the generator. Will any of the 12v Delco-Remy's work, or do I need a specific model?

Brent_Baumer
As far as I know there were (are) 2 different sizes on the AC/Sims. A longer one for horizontal shaft engines and a shorter one for the lower horsepower vertical shaft engines. I assume the shorter ones produce a little less torque. Rotation is a concern as well. I know the Starter/Generators on the Sims/AC's rotate opposite of the Cub Cadet's for instance. I don't know about Power Kings. The final difference I can think of it the older SG's have a bearing on the front and a bushing on the rear with an oil port to keep the bushing lubed. The newer ones have bearings on both the front and the rear. Assuming size and rotation are correct these will interchange with one another. Brent

Morris
I did some checking myself, Ray, by looking at lots of different pics of various old tractors with starter/gens. Every last one I saw (on a Briggs engine, anyway) was mounted with the pulley in line with the large pulley on the front of the engine. No matter what side it's on, rotation will be the same. If you are facing it, it's clockwise, or if standing beside the machine facing forward with it, it's CCW. BUT, both my Simp 700 and AC B-1 have the engine mounted "backwards" (engine sheet metal towards the rear), so you have to account for that.

UCD
Looking at the pulley end of the Starter/Generator. A simplicity/Allis Chalmers starter/generator turns CW. (clockwise) A Cub Cadet Starter/Generator turns CCW. (counter clockwise) Setting on the tractor both engines turn clockwise. The Cub Cadet starter/generator is mounted with the pulley facing the front of the tractor and the Simplicity/Allis Chalmers tractors the Starter/Generator is mounted with the pulley facing the rear of the tractor. The Cub Cadet drive shaft is off from the PTO (Rear) side of the engine and the Simplicity/Allis Chalmers are driven off from the flywheel (Front) side of the engine. The engines rotate in opposite directions in relation to there orientation in the tractor. If buying a Starter/Generator for a Simplicity/Allis Chalmers With a briggs engine you want a CW. (clockwise) Starter/Generator.