Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Need Start/Gen, Volt reg help!!

TripleDeuce50

Ok got this tractor with the wiring removed so here's my dilema What is the correct wiring for a Starter generator setup with a voltage regulator? I thought I had it wired right but as soon as you connect the battery the generator starts turning over? My volt regulator has a L,B,f, and a un marked post on it I assume a ground? I have had the tractor running and shuting off with the key switch but now I need to wire it RIGHT to see if it charges. Any one got a wiring diagram or a word description after looking at your own. Thanks in advance!!

Here is a wiring diagram for a B series with a starter generator but with out knowing which tractor you have it will be hard to get you the exact one that you need. I have my 917H that I put a briggs 16hp with starte generator in it wired the same as the diagram.

First off try to stay with me here...The tractor is a 7116 but I took the motor out of a 7013 that had a 16hp briggs in it. I assume the 13 hp was changed to this 16hp motor some where along it's life. So now I believe I have it wired as to the key diagram. The problem is as soon as you hook the battery up the start/gen turns over? Is it possible the regulator is the wrong one? It has only two coils under the cover, but my father's old cub also has a start/gen on it and it has only two coils on the reg as well kinda stumped here any suggestions?

I don't think the solenoid is stuck because because if I wire it just using the solenoid and bypassing the regulator is acts ok. Meaning if I just run a hot wire to the switch and a trigger wire to the solenoid along with a wire to the coil to ground it to shut it off, it turns over and starts and shuts off like it should. So i think the solenoid is acting like it should. Got me stumped??

Sounds like you have wired from the "L" terminal on the voltage regulator to the "A" terminal of the S/G. This will cause the S/G to run when you hook up the battery. The "L" terminal is for lights or other accessories and is hot all the time. You should have a terminal on the voltage regulator marked "A" or "GEN", possibly on the underneath side of the regulator. This would go to the "A" terminal of the S/G.

Hi, Gregg is correct you could have it wired wrong. Also if the cutout contacts stick this will happen. The purpose of the cutout contacts is to NOT connect the armature to the battery until the voltage exceeds about 12 volts on the armature. When the unit is stopped the contacts open to prevent backfeed into the armature. If the wiring has been zapped, the cutout contacts may be welded together. This will cause it to crank, also may burn the armature windings out and will completely drain the battery. If you go to my web site, edensltd.com and look at the tech notes section and look far enough in, there articles on how the starter generators work, how the 3 pole regulators work, and how the 2 pole regulators work. If these are confusing, let me know and maybe I can make it clearer. Hope this helps. Al Eden

It's CHARGING!! Thanks for the help everyone. I had the one lead off the start/gen going to the middle post (BAT) on the regulator and that was wrong for my setup. I needed to put lead on the back post of the regulator (GEN) post I was wiring it according to the schematics that I could find and apperantly that was wrong for my regulator setup. Just wanted to let yah all know it is fixed and the whole tractor is now rewired. Thanks! Now time to clean and prep for the paint work!

Now i just wish that this would show that I payed my dues so I can have full access. I did it yesterday using paypal?