Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Making Snowblower less sticky? Rust/Paint

bebbenga

Hi, Guys I have a 42 inch snow thrower- new to me- fitted up on a 7016 Hydro-Question-Blower very Rusty. How do I make it slippery so our 38 average inches of snow for the winter (balmy southern Minnesota location) DOES NOT Stick inside the thrower?? My friend Brad suggests I run it into the Grave Pile !!! to shine her up, then in the spring, put a oil coating on it to prevent rust. I would like to paint it to prevent sticking. Have you ever tried this Rust Reformer-stops the rust and makes a coating that you can paint. Suggestions are weclomed. Bryan

I would just sand and paint it. I have used Sno-Jet before and it works great, you just spray it on http://www.mo-deck.com/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=8 . Pam non stick cooking spray works good also.

Hi and welcome, I'm also in Mn. so I see your problem. I have used the rust reformer and have not had very good results. Rustoleum makes a fatastic line of industrial enamel. If I was going to repaint one of my machines and not spray it, but use a brush or sponge pad, I would use the following. 1. Wire brush all surfaces. Wipe clean with mineral spirits. 2. Scuff sand all surfaces. Wipe clean with mineral spirits. 3. Coat with Rustoleum Rusty Metal Primer. (not the clean metal primer.) 4. 2 or three top coats of Rustoleum industrial enamel. I have used these products for many years on various outdoor metal surfaces and have had great results. note: not the Rustoleum spray bottles; they don't tend to put the paint on thick enough. 5. When your all done and paint has thoroughly dried you can coat the blower spoat with Pam. I don't think it will be neccessary. I run 3 simplicity snowblowers and I rarely have a clogging problem. Remember to keep your rpms up high. Good luck, Kip

Bryan, Rust Reformer is great stuff. I use it under neath my mower decks after wire brushing whatever rust will come off with a wire brush and then apply 2 coats according to the directions and finish off with two coats of paint (not primer).Some of the decks have been done over 3 years ago and there is no rust showing yet.The directions claim if you apply 3 coats no other finish is needed although I have never tried it.Make sure you wear rubber gloves this stuff does not come off!! Good luck

I used POR-15 when I repainted my snowthrower. www.por15.com Follow directions to the letter. Expensive, but it worked great. Tacey

I sanded the neck and shute perfectly smooth and heavily laid on white appliance paint that has a real gloss and dries smooth.I spray a little pam on before use and viola no stick.

Bryan, I spray on some kerosen and let it soak .Put pam on it just before each use and have had no problems. Orangeone

I use the heck out of this stuff and love it. I get it in the spray can from NAPA ($5) http://www.permatex.com/products/industrial_individual_products.asp?category=maintenance&product=Permatex,%20Rust%20Treatment Sand well, clean surface (wipe with a clean cloth and use a air hose blower). If you feel the need to use a degreaser and water to get it clean just make sure it good and dry before spraying. Then two coats of this rust treatment and then paint. It holds down the rust for years. All most as well as sand blasting, well close any way. But a lot easier than trying to get a clean spot free metal to prime and paint over a large surface. Good tips. Two thin coats are better than one heavy coat, its water thin and goes a long way. I think the instructions say three thin coats. All so do not leave it out side in the damp night air or let it get rained on and try to paint over it. Its great stuff but its not a sealant and the moisture can get under the rust if its not painted. I found this out the hard way.

This will fix your problem. It works. His website: [url]http://smllengns.tripod.com/[/url] He's been selling kits on ebay for a few years. He makes people happy. You could paint etc but it might be better to fix the problem instead. One of his ebay listings. [url]http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7722303652&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1[/url]