Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Deutz-Allis 616 (Simplicity 5216) hydro fluid

sask

Any kind of good transmission fluid or hydrulic fluid is ok to use. The kind of fluid to use in the differential is a good name brand 80 90 weight gear oil. (Warren)

Hi, To drain the hydro pump, there are 2 plugs. One is on top next to the reservoir and the other is directly opposite it on the bottom of the pump assy. both need to be out to change the fluid. Carefully clean around the plugs before removing. Also clean around the reservoir. Remember with hydros and engines Cleanliness is as important as Godliness. remove the bottom plug and the oil will run out with the cap off the reservoir. Replace the plug and then the top plug must be removed or the case will air lock and it will take 3 or 4 weeks to get it full. You can then pour it through the reservoir and it will go in untill it comes out the top plug. It should just be about 1/4 inch deep in the bottom of the reservoir, as its purpose is to allow for expansion. If you desire to remove it, the reservoir is a left hand thread. Many of the new hydros don't call for oil changes because of some design features like two chambers so the motor area acts like a settling pond, large aluminum surface radiating areas, more oil and state of the art filters. In fact there has been a runing disagreement as whether people get more dirt in changing the oil than the contaminents they are trying to remove. These Eaton pumps have been used on many types of equipment and are quite reliable. The one thing they don't forgive is overheating, keep the fins cleaned of and they will run a long time, a grimy film insulates like crazy and they have a relatively small number of square inches of radiating area. Some aplications like Grasshopper and Dixie-chopper have used these units and have them geared so they generate more heat than desired with regular hydraulic oil. Grasshopper used a special oil, I believe synthetic to eliminate any foaming problem and the resulting blow out of oil. Early on Dixie-Chopper also used a special oil to eliminate the same problem as I remember it was make by Archer. Remember zero-turns put a lot more loading on these units than a comparable weight loading with a tractor because they do the steering and are often working against each other. Keep em clean and feed it grass. Good luck, Al

I recently bought a Deutz-Allis 616 hydro. It is in great shape and runs well but as with any used piece of equipment I acquire I want to give it top to bottom maintenance and fluid/filter changes. The Simplicity 5216 manual I obtained indicates it is a Peerless transmission on this tractor and suggests using Simplicity multipurpose hydrotransmission fluid. Is the same as any other hydrotrans fluid such as that which would be used on larger tractors (I have a Massey 65 and thus have gallons of the stuff around)? What other brands/types of fluid can be used in the Peerless transaxle on the Deutz-Allis 616H? As well, I have found the drain for the differential but have not found one for the hydro unit. Is it possible to drain the hydro unit without dismantling it? And what kind of filter is used on the hydro unit? Finally, does the differential use the same fluid as the hydro on this tractor? Thanks in advance for any and all advice.