Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Rustoleum brushed on a lawn deck?

I'm experiementing with brushing on rustoleum on a deck I am refinishing. My first impression is that the rustoleum is really sticky and not sure how this will work out. I expect Grass will stick to this. Anyone try this? I didn't use the POR15 because this is an experiment... do plan to try POR15 on a different deck. I do remember that POR15 did not have a sticky feeling soon after painting... Thoughts?

A friend of mine re-built a tandem axle trailer, that was in pretty bad condition. He applied 2-3 coats of the brush on Rustoleum paint to the entire frame, axles, hubs, etc., before installing the wooden floor and side boards. I just saw it last week. After five years, the paint is starting to fade a little, but there is no sign of any flaking or peeling, and the only surface rust is in areas where the paint has been scraped or worn off. I painted my trailer with a lesser quality paint about the same time and there isn't much of the original paint left. It has either peeled off, or been sandblasted off by road debris. I plan to use Rusteoleum when I get the time to re-furbish my trailer after seeing the results on my friend's trailer. After the paint has had time to completely dry, it is hard and slick, definitely not sticky. I don't know how long it took for it to dry to that condition. If you let it dry till next spring, it will probably not be sticky anymore. Most of the older automobile enamels required 6 weeks to fully cure, unless baked on with heat lamps.

I had an old Jeep that had some rust starting around the wheel wells inside the back. I just did a quick cleaning with a wire brush, vac the dust up and sealed with Rustoleum Rusty Metal Primer. After using the Jeep for six years there was rust in other places but not where I painted! It does take a few days till the paint drys but it's much less sticky then. The secret with Rustoleum is it's a fish oil base and rust can't eat through it.

I have used rusolium on the underside of the mower deck all the time, you will need to do it every year or so but it helps keep the deck from rusting no problem with grass sticking, just make sure it has ample time to dry

Thanks. I just went outside today to show someone the work on my decks (see below) and it was not as sticky today. Looks to be a lot cheaper than POR15, bought a gallon can from HD for like $32. Only used a half gallon and painted a large lawn/garden trailer, racks(2), and two decks.

Let it dry. Should take a few days in moderate weather, if its cold outside it could take a couple weekss. When its dry, it will not be sticky, and if you used the gloss product, it will shine nicely. Lasts as long as any paint I've tried. I've tried a lot of paints, I'm a painter by trade.

BTW: Do you folks/guys clean your decks less often once you paint them this way? Or can I start doing it every couple of months instead of every 2 or 3 times I use a deck?

Yep, it will take just awhile to dry. Another factor is ambient humidity in the air, more humidity equals longer dry times, even longer in cool weather. I just painted an old kerosene heater that I use in the shop with high temp stove paint and it took about 5 days to dry. Probably should have just fired it up a little but didn't want it blister. On the deck question, I just clean with a rag once it gets built up a little. Now that I went from 2 acres to mow to about 1/3 acre, cleaning a lot less!