Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Massey Ferguson 12 hp GT

Does anyone have any experience with this garden tractor? Someone has one locally and was thinking about looking at it as my second tractor. Do they have B&S or Kohler engines?

Hi,If you are talking a Massey Ferguson 12 they have tecumsehs in them.My dad love them that about the only kind he has.Some had the Varibile speed and other had the hydros in them.They are very heavy tractors.Hope this helps Tony

Yes there were many Masseys made over the years by several different manufacturers. They were nearly all heavy duty tractors, well made. I don't know of anything with the Massey name on it which is junk. They are my 2nd favorite after Simplicity/AC. I have 2 MF12's. The tractors are great but they have tecumseh engines which if in good shape are ok but sometimes are more of a headache than they are worth. I also have an MF16, which has a Kohler. The best massey garden tractors were the MF14 and MF16.

I've had a couple of the AMF built MF 10's and 12's. They are built like tanks. The variable speed transmissions are the same as whats in the Deere 110's and 112's and so on and so forth. The hydros are oK but seem to eat belts if you dont have all the belt stops and such just right. Like stated, they use mostly Tecumseh engines( you are supposed to spit when you say the name :D )CArbs are usually the trouble with those and have been for 30+ years to this day.. If you can live with the carb problems then they are a good heavy tractor.

Thanks for all the background information guys. I don't know what transmission is in it but should find out the beginning of next week. Sounds like a good possibility if it's in decent enough shape.

quote:
Originally posted by Beeser
locally and was thinking about looking at it as my second tractor.
It's hard to have a second tractor to a Powermax other than another Powermax. LOL If you desire a second I'd go with a FDT. It's the perfect compliment to your 9020. Smaller, w/ less power, yet more than caplbe and still has numarous attachments. A hydro trany is still a must. There are lots of very good tractors on the market, I still think the AC/Simplicity tractors for several reasons. We are all probably aware of at least some of these reasons so I won't go into any of this. What tractor has what your looking for as far as features and attachments and what do you want this extra tractor to do. With this in mind, determine what tractor you'd most like to have and search one out.

The need for something smaller is the primary reason for a second tractor. I'd also like to equip this one with a tiller and mower deck. Those attachments on my Pow'r Max are a bit overkill for me. I would like to stick with a Simplicity or AC tractor but they are slim pickings in my area. It'll be interesting to see what shows up at the auction that I plan to attend this Sunday.