Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Cast aluminum emblem(PS added)

JoeJ

I'm interested in trying to learn to cast metals. If I can reproduce the Allis emblem that is on the front of the 300/400 series would there be any interest? This looks to be something fairly basic for me to start off with and being aluminum, is one of the easier alloys to work with. Also, I see a new member here that I know from my wanderings. Howdy Mith, welcome to a pretty neat place ta hang your hat(send in $10 AMERICAN!). ;)The poor guy is still in the Mother country:D. *LOL* One of the best bangs for your buck on the net!! PS edit One of the fellas at MBN is making some pretty neat, huh, horn buttons to fit the center of steering wheels. [url]http://machinebuilders.net/wwforum/forum_posts.asp?TID=1001&PN=3[/url] If that works. He has asked me to mic the inner and outer on an Allis/Simp, and I think, what the steering wheel is made of. But I have no mics to do this with. If we can get any help or there might be interest, let me know and I'll pass on Dan's e-mail in PM.

Thanks for the welcome there Joe :D Hadnt even been on here a day before yeh spotted me! ;) So where bouts do I email my $10 (whats that in real money anyway? :D ) Great forum yeh got here all, think Ive read me a fair amount through here, Ive yet to spy anyone whos made a crawler from a GT, anyone have? Cheers!

Welcome Mith! I didn't make this (I wish I had), but is this something like you had in mind. [img]/club2/attach/comet66/panzer%20crawler%202.JPG[/img] [img]/club2/attach/comet66/panzer%20crawler%206.JPG[/img] I don't even remember where I found these pictures now, I just thought it was really cool. Made from a Pensylvania Panzer Garden Tractor. You may not have many of these in your neighborhood.

:DJohn, ;)You got them from an e-bay auction, same as me. I saved them too, because it was such a nice job. Mith Up top under CLUB HOME I believe you can join with pay pal or send in a check/money order.

John, thats exactly what I'm looking for, need some close up pics of how to make the tracks. That is a fine job int it! Youre right, never sen one of them before, aint too many older GTs here really. Thanks Joe, I'll have to look into that cheers

Mith, Most people use a Rexnord table top conveyor chain for the tracks. I comes in various widths and in steel, stainless steel and plastic. They also sell double flange rollers with bearings and sprockets. Its not cheep but can be bought used at some food processing equipment dealers or new at power transmission supply houses. For used try Triberry associates in Hart MI 231-873-3019 But go on line to the Rexnord site and pick the size and style you want first so you know what part no. to ask for it will save alot of time for everyone. Good Luck

Thanks for the reply Chris. Will surely keep those in mind too. This for sure won't be an over night thing. But I'm super interested in doing some "BackYard Casting":D. Joe

Joe, I did a little sand casting many years ago, when I was in school. It is neat stuff. Recently I have duplicated a few small pieces for restoring items such as an old clock that I have. It had four columns on the front. One of the end caps was missing. I used RTV to embed one of the other caps into. Let it harden. Then I could flex the RTV mold enough to remove the original part. A little mold release. Pour the cavity in the RTV mold full of epoxy. Flex the mold off of the cured epoxy, and "presto", I have a plastic part that looks identical in shape to the original metal part for my clock. When painted and installed, you can't tell which one I made. It sure would be nice to be able to do this type of thing in metal.

Joe, our local high school teacher was doing some pretty intence casting with students a few years ago. Think he got shut down by some bleeding hearts but if you want I could get you his e-mail address. He's a good ole boy from Nebr sand hills and I'm sure he'd be tickled to share a few tips with you. Think my B-112 is suppose to have something on the steering wheel but I'm guessing it be a smaller dia. then newer ones.

Curious myself on the whole casting process. Like everyone wouldn't mind trying to make small parts for the tractors. An auto restoration magazine I subscribe to just happens to have had a 2 part article the last couple of months (October/November). Doesn't get into the metalurgy side but gives overall look at the process. Website is www.autorestorermagazine.com, havent had a chance to really check it out so don't know if you can download articles or have to buy back issues.

I need one of those AC emblems that fit on the front of my Allis B-1...just curious but would that be the same emblem as the 300-400 series?

Morris, I have no idea if they are the same:(. That bridge we will have to cross after I see if this will work;). One of the fellas on MBN cast a set of matched step pulleys for a lathe or something. They struck me as a pretty neat work of art, that peeked my interest. I guess, like most of the older guys, I cast sinkers and fishing lurer's from lead, this is just kinda going to the next step. And if I can sell or swap something to help pay for my insanity, that's cool too.:D huh, reading this again, maybe a Mod might move it to the shop forum?? sorry about that.