Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Briggs throttle stop

richp

I have a 7014s that came factory with a 16hp Briggs. When I took the carb off to clean, I noticed a small bracket that bolted to one of the 4 bowl screws that prevents the throttle from going past 3/4 open. Is this a horsepower limiter, or do all off these have this? The bracket looks factory, no hokey add on. Will it hurt to take it off?

I have a 7014S also and it has no bracket attached to any of the bowl screws. The throttle is limited by the adjusting nuts on the governor control rod.

Engines tht run stationary equipment like Myrath grain augers usually have something like that. It has a bracket the bolts to the two outside screws of the four that hold the throttle body to the bowl. Has a round wheel on it sticking out the side that holds the throttle shaft at a fixed or limited speed. On the tractor applications the speed limiter is the nut on the threaded shaft that goes on up to the top of the engine through the bracket with the two little holes in it that is up near where the neck bolts to the block. As long as you have that rod and nut to limit the high speed I dont see a problem removing the one on the bowl.