Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Kwik-Way Loader Again

I haven't made much progress on fitting the Kwik-Way loader to my Pmax. It was originally designed for a Sears tractor. After seeing the quality of some of the older Sears tractors (see recent post on roper tractors) I thought it might be a good idea to try and find one of those. The availability seems to be much better. The question is, which one to choose. Does anyone know which Sears tractor would be a good match for the loader?

Try to get one of the bigger tractors of that era so you have enought tractor to handle the loader.I would think a 16 hp tractor would be enought but i am no expert by no means.I dont think they had tractors to much bigger than that in the era of your loader.

I just learned from Kwik-Way that my loader was designed for Sears tractors made from '77 thru '80 and specifically models 9172517-9, 91725705-8 and 91725711-2. That should narrow it down a little. Hopefully I can find a source describing each of these models. Here's a link to a site that shows a pic of the loader on a Sears tractor. http://pub5.bravenet.com/classified/show.php?usernum=426001687&cpv=1

Just curious, but what is the holdup on fitting the loader to the Powrmax? Just too much work to be worth it or technically a stumper or ??? I remember your pic of it test fitted using some 2 x 4's and I wondered if you had done anything on it since then. Still seems pretty feasible to buy some 2 x 4 steel beams and and cut and weld and drill them as needed. Any competent weld shop should be able to handle that for about 2-300.00, maybe less. Just my 2-cents worth. Once welded and then primed and painted, seems worth it to me...

Morris - After giving myself some time to think about the project I decided it's not worth the trouble (to me) and besides, it's probably not proportioned well with the tractor. In my opinion, it needs to be on a smaller tractor.