Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Opinions wanted on potential Sunstar purchase

roma3112

Folks I put a bid in on this sunstar primarily i want it to mow with so i can leave the snow cab on my sovereign on year round. I would'nt mind putting a dozer blade or some rear mounted attachment (grader blade/ tiller) if i ever find one for it. I notice in the item discription and pictures that there is no rear pto or rear lift kit on this particular machine; I know from reading here that the 3pt hitch is NLA from simplicity as an assembly would I need that in addition to a rear lift kit and PTO kit to put rear attachments on this machine? Any opinions on the machine would be appreciated, I am sure that prior to the auctions end i will be outbid but I want to know if this one is worth the trouble of getting. ps just got an email from the seller truck freight would be about $500.00 from where he is, or i could meet the guy 1/2 way for some lesser amount (887 total miles 1 way). thanks john http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7725395220&sspagename=ADME:B:AAQ:US:1

John, You are correct it is very hard to get attachments for these tractors. I bought my 1920H which is the agco allis brother to the sunstar with a 60" deck, dozer blade with power angle and 600 hours for $1500. It is a 93 with the newer v-twin OHV motor. I love the mower and would recommend them to anyone, but I think this one is going way to high for what it is. Just my two cents! Jim

This apears to be a well cared for unit. I have a 1920H, and a Sunstar, and have been very happy with both. They have no inherant problems that I am aware of, except that the Magnum engine, (which this apears to be), could develope gov. problems if the cooling ducts were not kept clean. The engine would then get hot and cook the nylon gears, which would break and allow the engine to over rev. and come unglued. The rear lift groupe is still available through Simplicity. If looking for a tiller this lift requires the engine speed PTO. If you want to install a 3-point hitch and run a tiller you would need the 2000 RPM PTO. Very versitle machine, with the power steering and hydro a real pleasure to use. The locking diff. is a real nice addition I use a lot mowing around my hilly yard, and especially on the loader tractor.

John, this is only about 25 miles from me so if you or anyone else interested needs me to I can pick this item up and store it or help arrange some shipping. Dave.

Guys thanks for the heads up I dod not bid too much more than what is there now, the $500.00 for shipping would hurt but considering it is like 800 miles away and the price of gas from boston to there it probably is not unreasonable. I would love to get a johnny box or power angle dozer blade for the winter slush that my blower wont handle. I also have one of dutche's grader blades with a hitch from john H mabee i can adapt that to worrk with this sunstar. Dave thanks for your generous offer if i do get it I will let you know.

It sure is a nice looking tractor and from what I've heard about them from past owners they are one of the best but if I lived that far away and had until next summer to really worry about having one I'd be using some common sense thinking and figure I could use that $500 shipping charges to look for one over the winter alot closer to home.

Dutch's blade with John Holcomb's hitch is a plug-N-play item on this tractor. [img]/club2/attach/comet66/resized%20%284%29.JPG[/img] I thought I had a better picture than this, but I can't seem to find it right now. I use mine rake side down to keep my driveway in shape.

john thanks for the pic of your set up, I got outbid on the sunstar and I am not sure if i will continue, mainly because of the distance and the cost to get the machine transported. I guess my hunt will continue locally, thanks to all that responded