Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
sask

Repowering a 912

sask
I have a nice 912, but with one problem. My property is hilly, and I believe the splash oil system in the Kohler engine is not a good match. Is there a pressure lube engine out there that could be put into a 912 fairly simply? Or do I need to sell the 912 and get something else? Thanks

Al
Hi, We sell a kit to do this. It includes a new 18hp twin overhead cam v twin Kohler and everything you need to install it. I sold one to a gentleman in Franklin Indiana about two months ago, and he said the stuff was there when he got home at 5 o-clock and he had it running at 8:30. He and he did not have to get one item that wasn't included. We provide the templates to cut the frame etc., on the 900 twins it is done. The kit includes an adaptor kit so you don't have to change the switches or anything to use the current wiring with the new ignition system. price is about 1850 including the engine, adapter plates, throttle, choke, battery cables, driveshaaft, electronic adapter kit, muffler, heat shields, fuel line, oil drain valve, hardware, complete step by step instructions. If you are interested e-mail me and I will put you in contact with this person. I do not want to wear out my welcome with general questions there, but he told he would be happy to be used as a reference. We have sold about 8 of these kits in the last couple of months. The 900/7100 kits require no welding, are bolt in, but may require some cutting, this can be done with a saber or recip saw. We also sold a kit this week to put the 18 Vangard in the 700 ACs. The kits for these tractors require some cutting and welding. It makes a sweet running 3400/7000/700. We have put the 25 Kohler Command in a 912 AC. We are not interested in kitting this as it is a major project. The ribs in the bottom of the frame are right in line with the mounting bolts and you have to make wedge shaped pieces and weld them in and grind them off above and below the frame, this will be true with the other Commands also. The TH18 is the easiest to put in, it is state of the art, fuel efficient, cool runing, quiet and reliable and that is why we settled on it. The Command can be done but it is a heck of a lot more work. I also feel the TH is the technology of tomorrow and in 5 years will replace the Command series. [personal opinion]. If you have any interest, e-mail me or give me a call at 1-800-462-2218 9:00 to 6:00 weekdays CST. Good luck, Al

stevejj56
Tim, My uncle has the same problem. The last one he detonated , the starter fell off the side. You can stick your hand through the side of the block. If the tractor's in good shape, I would install a Kohler command 18 twin. The ohv,not ohc. I think these are the best Kohlers built. Around $1500 should take you all the way. It's worth it. Steve