Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
TripleDeuce50

Rim sizes and tires

TripleDeuce50
I have a 7116 with 10.5 turfs on it want to go to ag/lug tires. Question is...I think my rims are 7-7 1/2 wide not sure? But should I go with 10.5" wide ags or 8.5" tires? I know the 10.5's are 40-45$ more than the 8.5's Are they worht the extra bucks? And if I went with the 10.5's would they clear my pto clutch the turfs do? opinions appreciated!?

MikeES
The 8.5" will be too small for that tractor. You will have no clearance issues with the 23x10.5" Around here you buy the Carlisle 23x10.5x12 for about $55 ea. from Fleet Farm.

Dadsy98
Jeremy, I assume you want traction. The consensus here on the club is either chains or lug type tires. with either choice the addition of weight(s) makes a noticable difference. I have 10.5 turf tread tires with chains and weights that provide all the traction I can use. I haven't tried lugs yet, I have another 7010 with 8.5 lugs that needs some TLC. Might get 'er done for this winter :) . Convention says the smaller width tires will dig easier for more traction than the larger or wider tires that tend to "float" on the surface.

HubbardRA
Here is a set of Nankang 10.5 lugs that we use on our 61 Wards. These have great traction in snow. We have never needed chains. If they spin, they dig a hole in the ground. Only time I have ever had them spin (without digging in) was while pushing a full blade of snow on top of a solid ice base. These are 23x10.5x12 tires mounted on 10.5 wide rims, that I widened myself. I love the flat tread that you get with the wide rims.