Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Just a little clean up

wilm169

This sure makes a large pile when it is dumped :D

You sure know when it is over half full when you cross a sidewalk and feel the bump and pull. The box [after remeasuring] is 36.5" x 82.5" x 48" which end up to 83.68 cf [in my adding]:D now to find the formula to convert to bushels Maybe I should have called it a forage wagon:)

That is a real cool wagon. Just curious how do you dump all of the grass out of it. Do you just dump the entire trailer??? Thanks Benjamin

The wagon has a lift under it but the grass and leaves will not slide out so I use a fork to help. I am thinking of putting the plastic slip sheets on the inside to help the slide.

Assuming your tailgate opens completely, you may try putting a 2x12 in the front inside with two ropes tied as a 'y' into one, then hook it off to something solid and drive away. Back in the days of picking corn on the cob, we used to unload corn shucks that way when we shelled. Worked great.

Now that's a great idea Marty. Might maybe use a piece of 1/2 inch plywood 30" wide and 24" or so high... that'll pull most of the load out. the rope hook-up might be a problem though... PS: still away from home, in Dearborn, MI. forecast says 19F tonight, Brrr. :)

Here is a picture I found on another site that shows a pair of chains with cleats and a hand crank at the back to pull the load out. I was trying to figure out a ground drive system similar to the old ground driven manure spreaders for distributing the load out in the field.

quote:
Originally posted by MPH
Assuming your tailgate opens completely, you may try putting a 2x12 in the front inside with two ropes tied as a 'y' into one, then hook it off to something solid and drive away. Back in the days of picking corn on the cob, we used to unload corn shucks that way when we shelled. Worked great.
I've seen that same idea used to empty the trailers full of roofing shingles. They put a length of 6x6 timber in the front of the trailer and attach chains to it and run them to the tailgate. When they get to the dump, they open the gates and then they attach the chain to the compacter and have the compacter pull the shingles out of the trailer in one large lump. It works great. Of course, the shingles tend to act like one large mass. With grass, the 2x12 might just pull out the bottom of the pile and leave the rest. Won't know until you tried.

Hey Levi, Do you check for any neighbor kids when you empty it out?? LOL We use the 'Roofers trick' when loading any 'mass' like that from shingles to logs! Steven, We're in South Lyon (From Dearborn originally...) Yep supposed to get pretty cold! JP

Any thing that will go up the vac tube goes in the trailer pop cans/plastic bottles small sticks and gravel if you cross the driveway, so if it goes thru it its in the trailer. NO kids yet. The idea of the drag board sounds good, but hard to do in the middle of a field. Glad it has flotation tires on it.

I see in your profile you not excatly tractorless, the way we used to do it in the middle of the cattle yard was hook the '37 CC case up to the chain and pull it outta the wagon.