Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Grader blade down pressure with RBT?

roma3112

Folks I am building a house as we speak and along with that comes alot of use for my grader blade. I was wondering if anybody with a blade and an rbt has ever devised a way of getting some down pressure when mid-mounting the blade. Has anybody ever rigged a mechanical linkage from the blade to the lift arm? Any suggestions would be appreciated, my late model sovereign does have hydro lift. thanks john

I can think of a couple ways of doing it. Probably the easiest is to build a couple of stirrups that would come up over or near your running boards, so that you can use your feet to push down on the blade like the RBT owners do. You could also build a type of rockshaft that attaches underneath the running boards. This would attach to a rod coming from the front lift lever and convert the forward-backward motion to an upward-downward motion with rods attached to each side of the blade. If you don't understand what I mean, then PM me.

I'm not sure I would put something on th lift to force it down. You would likely end up putting too much down pressure on the blade and pushing up on the drive axle and looseing traction. I'd go with something that used your feet so you could vary the amount of force on each side so you could control the angle of you gradeing.

John, Dutch [dirty word?] once told me that he used small JD suitcase weights on his to give him down pressure and that it worked great. I tried it when I had my knee sugery and was very happy with how it worked other than with a manual lift it was a little heavy to lift.

There was a posting some time ago where someone fabricated a linkage/lever to apply direct downforce from the rock shaft to the hich of the grader blade. I did a quick search, but did not find it. Maybe someone else will have better luck GregB

two hydraulic cylinders going from the inside of the frame to the blade. I know, I know, you kinda need it now. Think about it, if you use the grader all the time, this set up would be the best. Alas the need for another tractor!!! lol Elon

I'm with Dave, if you use hydr down pressure, your likely to lift your tires off the ground, I have done that with the disc on the back when I don't go too the float postion. Now in your profile, you have the best solution in the picture, a good ole Footdrager.

I slide forward on my seat and use my legs to 'stand' or put pressure on my mid-mount grader blade. A friend was over this week and recommended welding up some rebar on the blade and sliding some concrete block on, or some old (never used!) free weights from your weight bench.

John, I have a FDT and standing on the blade works great. From experience, I am embarassed to say, make sure your set screw is tight on the steering wheel. I almost knocked my own teeth out with mine. Mike

Mike that got a smile out of me at 7am LOL I will be sure to be careful. I think I will try the human powerd downpressure first then explore the more difficult ways of getting it( K.I.S.S)if you know what I mean. Thanks to all who chimmed in on my question! john

Check out a 990700 42" factory grader blade for the RBT's. Make up a set of those stirrups and you should be able to do what you want - I have one for my 7016. Long legs do make it easier though. Tim