Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Snowblower bearings Straighten pics added

MPH

Well, my first project for the winter tells me I have dumb luck on my side at least. Wasn't planning to tear this 42 inch blower down much as it turned, a little stiff, but it's been sitting who knows how long. While removing the scrapper edge bar to straighten it I decided the cobbled up weld job holding the rather bent up non drive side on just gotta get fixed. Soo I pull the augar, only to learn why it was turning stiff, non-drive side bearing frooze up tight, turnning in the set screws. Lucky for me, shaft looks good, don't think it was run this way, mussta been that boot I used to get it turn last Aug when I found it:( Anyway, are the bearings the same in the 36inch and the 42 inch? Just put new ones in a 36 inch last winter that I likely won't use now. My evening project, playing blacksmith. Here's the cutting edge as I took it off. The straight egde under the bend is 1 inch wide.

after some firewrench and a big hammer with the aid of a chunck of RR tie

bent blower housing

Thankyou Maynard for the angle iron idea, worked great even with a 4 lb hammer and heat

damage fixed with lousy weld job doesn't show up the best

Rust is bad enough thinking I'll order new bearing and paint it while I wait for them, if it snows too much I'll just have to use the 36inch. Been wantting a 42in for about 5 years now, since I learned of them, may as well make it a keepper.

Lookin good Marty. How much longer in your work season do you have before your stuck in the shop for good? Don't I recall you were wanting to rebuild an engine before cold weather? Carefull, the blower will be ready before the tractor is.

Good work Marty. I have fixed a few like that. I also took a piece of 1/8" x 1½" flat stock and welded it to the inside edge of the blower and drilled the holes for the scraper bar. You should order a new scraper bar as it looks like the leading edge on that one is wore out. Part# 160746 scraper bar Part# 173934 bearing cartridge

Looks like you picked the right project to get done first.I'm still looking for a 42" to replace one of my 36" blowers.But that is'nt too high on the wifes list,yet.