Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

1972 3415S Sovereign

sask

Phil and Steve, the shuttles are rare in that they did not hold up well. I have 1974 3414S Baron. I bought it for $300 and after I cleaned the 1/2" of crude off I found an almost new tractor underneath. But I know the shuttle does not last forever, so I picked up one (complete with pulleys and linkage) in good condition from a parted out AC 312 for $15. You learn something new. Yes the AC300 and 400 did have a shuttle option. Good Luck with yours. Mike.

Could anyone tell me if this model is a rare one. It seems to be the only one around for miles in this area. Any idea how many were made? Thanks, Phil

Phil, I have a parts 3415s,and a baron shuttle. The barron is the same tractor. I would say these tractors are rare compared to v-speeds and hydros. I've got a manual on the shuttle, how it works and adjustments. I mow with my barron, the only thing i don't like about it is the brake that stops the shuttle from turning when you put the lever in neutral, works for a while then it will roll when you want to stop. Parts for it may be tougher to find also. I haven't had trouble with mine yet.

I have one that I hauled out of my neighbor's back yard last winter for free. Have never tried to get it going though. It's about #3 of 3 on the list of tractors to work on.

Thanks for the replies. So far this jewel is running pretty good. I have learned a few things about it as I work on it.It sure seems to be touchy about the belts I've used. I tried other brands to get by and that hasn't worked well. I ended up going to the dealer and getting the correct sizes. I also had to change the center arbor pulley. It had one that was too big and the RPM was too slow to cut grass clean. Corrected that problem and waiting for another to come up. Gradually I'll get it where it belongs

Well the only thing that works as a drive belt on these tractors is the OEM Simplicity belt. When I bought my B-12 it didn't have an OEM belt on it and I was replacing the belt every week. Finally I drove the 90 Miles to an AC dealer and told him my problem. He sold me an OEM belt for the tractor and told me I would have no more trouble with the belt. Well as the long time members of this club know I had that belt on my B-12 for 26 years. When I changed the belt about a year ago I put it on my tiller as the drive belt for it. It is still driving the tiller after 26 years of use on the B-12. Tim Winner of the oldest living tractor drive belt award.