Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

End of my rope

Boney

Well I am gonna take the plung. I have had problems as of lately starting my 725 and am tired of pulling that darn rope. My question is what is the physical size of the batteries you guys ar putting in them ? {ex. 12"x12"x12"} also what type of terminals should I be looking for ? Thnx for any help Herm

I am not sure of the size, but I use a L&G battery from just about any auto store. I have used one for a few years at a time. They don't last as long as the the larger batteries in a large frame tractor, but should do fine. The terminals look like a small piece of angle iron with a square hole in it. I hope this helps. JH

I went to Wal-Mart and got a Type 51. Think that's right, someone correct me if I am wrong. Go ahead and buy new cables while you are at it, you'll need the automotive type ends... http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/topic.asp?topic_id=21732

I don't think the 51 battery will fit a 725. I have 51R batteries in my 713 and 716 ACs. I still use a lawn and garden battery in my 61 Wards (Simp 700) because I would have to modifiy the battery mount to use the larger battery. I know a 51R will not fit the current battery mount, and it would be tight just fitting one under the hood.

Tell you the truth I don't know what size car battery will fit in a 725 with out modifying the batttery tray. I would find the largest CCA tractor battery I could find a put it in it's place.

A car battery definitely won't fit. I tried that once. Too wide, and top of hood will rest on terminals, very much a no-no, unless it's side post, but then gas tank or dash will get in way. It will only take a standard Lawn and Garden tractor battery. I'd get a higher amp model to drive the starter-generator.

Perfect timing Herm, just got home from Fairbanks with a new Diehard gold for mine. Tired of jumpping it if it sits more then 2 days, battery is 5 plus years old now. It's 7 1/2 inches to the top of posts,5 1/8 inches deep and 7 3/4 long. Ain't it pretty

sorry about the blurr, guess I'm still unsteady from the 410 mile drive mostly in falling snow.

"410 mile drive mostly in falling snow" Man, you definately need to make a shopping list, it just wouldn't do to forget something and need to go back into town!!!!

quote:
Originally posted by comet66
"410 mile drive mostly in falling snow" Man, you definately need to make a shopping list, it just wouldn't do to forget something and need to go back into town!!!!
Wouldn`t it be great though, your neighbors would be few and far apart.

Well guys, sometimes this time of the year I drive 100 miles without meettin' one too:) Have to have something 'too deal with' to make the trip, don't often do it for shopping.

You may want to check out these industrial batteries as an alternative. http://industrialenergy.exide.com/sub_navig.asp?main_description_en=Sonnenschein&lng=en&cl=Brands