Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Simplicity 616 tractor

triplejohn

Hello all, I justed picked up a simplicity 616 tractor in goog running shape(I posted a month ago about it)The tractors runs good once started and does not seem to burn oil. My first problem is it's hard to start when cold unless I put a couple drops of gas down the carb throat, but once it is running it runs great! The other question I have is it is missing the mower deck lifting linkage? The lever on the right side of the tractor is there, and there is a long shaft on the mower deck that runs from one side to the other. There seems to be a linkage that runs from the lifting lever to the mower deck shaft that is missing. I cannot find a parts diagram or anyone that has these parts....Can anyone help with pictures or the parts I need...Thanks John

John, I think what you are missing is a length of chain that goes from the inside of the lift lever rod to the deck. I'm not sure where it attaches to the deck. There is usually a tab of some type for a lift point. It has been a while since I looked at the smaller decks, so I could be wrong. Memory is getting questionable.

Hello Mack, Thank you for the link, but it does not show the deck or lifting lever. Rsachs.....I have the lever on the r-side of the tractor and there is a bar that runs from left to right across the mower deck with a bow(cam)in the middle under the tractor for lifting it up, but there would need to be a shaft of some kind te reach the Cam and the lever?

quote:
Originally posted by triplejohn
Hello all, ... My first problem is it's hard to start when cold unless I put a couple drops of gas down the carb throat, but once it is running it runs great!... Thanks John
I'd guess something's dirty. Maybe an old fuel filter? Maybe a plugged up oriface in the carb? Any ideas? I have one of those Yeomans. The cut quality of that little 32" deck is really good. Those blades can't be more than 10" long. Tacey

I don't remember if we covered this on your last post but as for the cranking part, check to make sure the choke is fully closeing and staying closed while cranking. If so then it's likely your float is out of adjustment resulting in an improper fuel level in the carb. bowl.

First of all....I agree the cut is really excellent compared to my 18 horse Craftsman with a 42" deck. The quality is so good I am seriously considering getting rid of the Craftsm. I will have to pull the carb apart. Is there a starting circuit that may be plugged?