Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

onan replaceable?

joeMA

What happened? A new honda repower is about $1600 & shipping. Pros & cons? Search the forums (hate to type! LOL)Usually, I can do a shortblock (to Onan Specs) for half of that & shipping. Also a good time to goto 19.5 HP! So, What'd ya do? JP

sorry for being short was late and am new at this. thank yall for return mess. long version on seized CCKA not so bad. motor ran well all summer, then seemed to seize do to overheating. know all about mice and such clogging cooling fins etc. bbbbut now within minutes of running shuts down then ext. hard to turn over. went to sears today to purchase belt wrench to turn by front takeodff. am mostly sure seizure due only to bearings. could listen with probe while running and all sounded well. have comp. no odd noise .but has now become too much for starter. need to know if this motor has a replacmnt that will fit and retain cooling setrup for hyd, etc. this tractor is very handy and am willing to invest whatever to minimize hassles , such as carb ,fuel pump, lack of on bd. alt. etc. thanks for all your help.

There are other engines that will go into the frame w/ some modifications. But after the initial cost of a late model engine who wants to start cobbling on the tractor for a few extra HP. Besides, a good rebuild would likely outlast a late model engine anyway. I should have been more specific before.

thanx J.P. and D-17 for your info. most of my problem stems from locale. here we have few . in my opp. qualified shops to deal with onan. and from previous searches have not had much luck . when i first got this machine i downloaded the entire 4040 manual , i think right from this site. but try as i might i cant find a manual or any info on this motor. we do have a shop that sold and serviced case trct. but he is getting on in years and im a little leary about leaving my mach. there forever. can someone help me understand the ins and outs of packaging this motor to be sent to one of fellow club members to rebuild. cost is not the issuebut length of time gone, odds of succrss, communication about progress etc. i have a loy of work my tactor has to do. cut 4-5 acres weekly, plow 250 ft. of stone drive, etc. this tractor has shown to be a do all end all, as long as it is running, but if it is going to be a maint. head--- i will have to ugh, i don't even want to say.

Joe - I recently sent an Onan engine using Forward Air. They charged considerably less than FedEx Freight or any of the other freight companies I contacted. The only drawback is that you have to deliver and pickup at their terminals. As for crating the engine, I probably went a little overboard and made a 2x4 skid and bolted the engine to it. Then constructed a frame using 2x2s and sheathed the whole thing with 5/16" plywood. Materials were about $25.