Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Hard to Steer

Terry_Hart

I have an AC 716H. It is always hard to steer. Today, I went out to do the leaves and could barely steer it. I jacked up the front and greased the king pins. Then greased the shaft under it (the shaft for the gear) Then put some grease on the gears themselves. Then over inflated the front tires. It is better, but still really stiff. A real challange to back up with a trailer. I know this is a heavy machine, but it is way to hard to steer! Any ideas on how to make this managable. When I hang the snow blade on it, I will have a hard time steering it.

I dont know why your machine is hard to steer, My b12 with the loader is also a beast to steer, of course what has helped and what you may consider, esp with plow on is adding counterweight. Tho would make sure no mechanical issues first. The front tires that I have on the loader are also part of the problem. They are pretty wide and dont scuff well, esp when turing in-place. Good luck! scott

This is hard to steer even with weight off the front wheels. When I had it jacked up to grease it, it was still hard to turn. When I had the trailer on it today, loaded it would make the front end dance just about off the ground. Don't think a counter wieght will help. Thanks

Yep that sounds mechanical then, would uncouple the long steer arm from front end to pitman arm and figure out if problem is located in front-end or steer assembly then go from there scott

Sounds too me like you have a tight bushing or bearing somewhere in the steering set-up. If it were my problem, I'd unhook the steering arm from the left front spindle and see how just the steering gears turn, if free and easy, unhook the drag link and check each wheel spindle. guessing you didn't buy it knew, you gotta remember, some peoples kids don't own a greese gun and may be confussed what to do with it if given one.

Take some penetrating spray like PB Blaster ( Even WD 40) and spray it so it runs down the steering column into the gear assembly at the bottom behind the battery. Works best if you use the red tube that goes into the spray tip and just lightly press down so the fluid runs out rather than sprays all over everything. Se if that helps after a couple of treatments like that. If it does not help, and none of the exterior steering components are the problem, one could remove the steering column and adjust the mesh between the gears. I would leave that as last resort. If you already have play between the gears that wouldnt be the problem though.

On a similar subject,how do you remove the steering gear from a similar tractor,a 7016. I have one that the steering is locked up on.Removed the steering arm,and the front wheels turn freely. But I can't turn the steering shaft,even with a pipe wrench. Crawled under it,and removed the 2 bolts attaching it to the frame,and anything else that looked to be holding it in place.It looks like it should drop out,but it won't budge,even with a prybar,and a hammer!This is the gear,BTW,that attaches to the frame,and moves the steering arm. Sam,I'll try your trick of spraying the steering shaft,to see if that helps free things up.Any thoughts?

Sounds like an old ford truck to me. Heat the king pins up a little and see if that helps. I had a 63 ford truck I had to heat up 2 or 3 times a years. It was easier to heat them up once and a while than to replace them.

I just had to remove and clean steering gears on a 716h for the same reason. There are 2 bolts thru side of tractor frame and 1 thru the bottom of the dash area to hold the assembly in place. The problem is that moisture runs down the upright steering rod into the gear area and rust, this part does not have a grease fitting. Once the assy. is out you will be able to see the areas I am describing. The PB Blaster will work, or penetrating oil, after you let it soak in and work the steering back and forth, make sure to soak it good with lube oil. It seems sort of like a design flaw not to have a means to lubricate this area.

You must have a bushing binding up for lack of lubrication. I have a 716H and a 713S. Both steer fairly easy. If you have some Kroil, I would put some of that on the shaft and let it seep into the steering gear area. I have used Kroil to free up siezed bushings several times. Kroil will seep into places with almost no clearance. It softens grease and rust. The best penetrating oil I have ever used.

Hi, On the steering shaft there are 2 collars and a plate with a bolt in each side. The steering shaft goes upl through a sleeve that can move up or down in the steering gear housing to set the mesh of the steering gear and sector. Above this sleeve is a plate that the shaft goes through with a collar on each side of the plate. There is a bolt in each side of the plate that move it up and dowm along with the sleeve to adjust the gear mesh. These collars get rusty and they bind up on the plate making it very difficult to turn the steering wheel. Sometimes spraying lub down on the lower shaft area and working the wheel will free them up. Removing the steering gear assy and disassembling it, cleaning all of the rust and lubing it with grease will make it easier to steer than when new. Al Eden

I guess I will try to lube the area on the steering shaft and disconnect the front end to isolate it. Thanks I will let you know.

Kroil/AeroKroil Loosens Frozen Metal Parts! SiliKroil Loosens Frozen Metal Parts plus Silicone! Penephite Graphited Penetrating Oil! Don't Spoil It- Kroil/AeroKroil As Seen On Truck Gear On TNN Loosens Frozen Metal Parts! An industry proven penetrating oil that has no equal. Quickly loosens rusted nuts and bolts - frees frozen shafts, pulleys, etc. Penetrates to 1 millionth inch spaces, dissolves rust, lubricates, cleans and prevents rust. Displaces moisture. The oil that creeps. Used by 480 of the Fortune 500 companies! http://www.kanolabs.com/

I guess I will try to lube the area on the steering shaft and disconnect the front end to isolate it. Thanks I will let you know.

You can order it direct on line from mfg. [url]http://www.kanolabs.com/[/url] Order direct or for more information 800-311-3374 Tel:615-833-4860 Fax:615-833-5790

I took the battery out and vacumed all the leaves and grass out. Then used Loquid Wrench, followed by Boeshield. Worked great! Turns better than ever. I have had it 3 years, it turns great now. I found that I need to change the bushings in the drag link and front wheel bearings now. Thanks for your help.

I took the battery out and vacumed all the leaves and grass out. Then used Loquid Wrench, followed by Boeshield. Worked great! Turns better than ever. I have had it 3 years, it turns great now. I found that I need to change the bushings in the drag link and front wheel bearings now. Thanks for your help.

Yes, the 3 ribs steer noticably easier. Here is a topic on adding torrington bearings to the spindles too that others have done. I hope to try this on a heavy steerer I have someday. I haven't even had time to work on my starter though - I should go look at that thread again soon. Another option is tracking down a power steering unit and modifying the hydro and mounting it up - probably lots of work. I have always wondered if those charlyn torque generators would fit under the dash on one of these too? My mind always thinks up more ideas than I could ever get done in a lifetime :> I like to mount those steering wheel spinners too, and have one hand rowing the steering and one on the hydro. http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&TOPIC_ID=10571&SearchTerms=torrington

I ended up taking the dash out,removing a small collar at the bottom of the shaft,and spraying it liberally with PB Blaster.After about a week,and a bigger pipe wrench,I got it to move.Kept at it,and finally freed it up.Steers better than a new one!:D Thanks,all!