Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
JCS

B & S 16 HP 1 cylinder engine

JCS
Here we go again! Got motor back from shop AGAIN!!! They insist the camshaft & crankshaft are in time. They insist the correct MAGETRON for a cast iron engine is insalled. They insist it is installed correctly (in the middle of the bracket slots. They sent the flywheel away AGAIN and said the B&S people have the flywheel polarized corretly. I will try this weekend to put together and see if overheats like before.

Al
I had a problem with a Magetron ignition. The guy sold it to me and said it would work my 10hp cast iron BS. He did not say anything about getting the flywheel repolarized. I installed it, fired the motor up and it ran terrible. The motor didn't have any power, ran hot, backfired and sheared the flywheel key. Replaced the flywheel key and went through the same thing. My point is, my motor did not run more than 5 min. each time before the key sheared and spun the flywheel. Did you check for sticking vavles? A sticking exhaust valve will cause an engine to overheat. Did you put a new cam in your motor. Briggs put out some bad cams within the past year. Is your motor running lean? Just some ideas. Ryan

tej
Note on flywheel key. The flywheel key is only for alignment and does not help hold the flywheel in place. If the flywheel spins on the shaft it was not torqued to the specified foot pounds.