Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sad news, one of our own.

Al

Hi, I know this probably isn't the place to post this, but I hope it is appropriate. Several months ago Roger Keller, member (Orangeone) contacted me about putting a Briggs Vangard he had in a 7100 tractor. I helped hem get what he needed to adapt it and we bacame friends over it. He pointed out that this was the last tractor projects he would ever be able to do, and he wanted to get it done while he was able yet. He has small cell lung cancer, and didn't know how long things would last. He was hoping to take a trip out West next summer and if possible maybe we could touch base. Roger has been sending me inspirational and humorus e-mails ever since we became acquainted. I do not respond to all or many of them, because of all the e-mail I get. He is aware that I really respect his upbeat attitude in view of the bleak situation he is in. I e-mailed him this week to "touch base" on how things were going. He said thinigs were kind of bleak. About a week ago he was informed that his treatments were no longer working and the cancer is back with a vengeance. He said he felt that something had changed about 2 months ago. He started getting weaker and had a lot less energy. The future is very disheartening, with maybe 3 to 6 months with good luck. He says he does very little now, but has an occasional good day now and then. The chance of our meeting face to face seem remote without a miracle. He is typical of the many friends I have made on this site. In spite of everything I still get upbeat e-mails from him. He has become an inspiriation to me. I asked if I might share his condition on the site and he said it would not be a problem. I thought it would mean more to know it now than to hear it after it was too late. I would just ask that you keep a great member and friend in your thoughts and maybe drop him a note. Al Eden

Roger has been fighting a good fight for a long time with his disease. It was my tractor that he put the vanguard in. Roger came by last spring wanting it. He had a more immediate need than I. I visited him in Galion OH a couple weeks ago and "Baby" his name for here was purring with the vanguard and power steering. Roger is living one day at a time, which is all anyone one of us can do.

Al this club is the place it is because of people like you who care enough to go the extra mile for people. Despite the fact that many of us may never meet in person, we are freinds non the less! Roger my prayers are with you and your family GOD BLESS

Al ,It is people like you who go the Extra mile to help people out when they need it.It is people like you that make this club what it is today. Roger is in our prayers and thoughts.

Roger and everyone. I don't intend to give false hope, but we have a friend who was in similar situation, they stopped the chemo-therpy so he could live his last few weeks in comfort....that was 5 years ago. Miracles do happen. Thanks Al for letting us know. God bless you Roger!

To me, Roger is one one of those guys where you have to ask, WHY! With all the 'stuff' he's been going through, I get an email from on a regular basis. He's always upbeat & usuually has a positive view on everything. I can only pray for him & his family & hope that I would be able to see life through his eyes. JP

Roger and his wife Sandy are two unique people that always seem to have a smile on their face's. It's incredible what they have gone through. I can't say enough about what a good friend he is to so many of us here. He seems to spread joy and smiles where ever he goes. He's an insparation to me to be a friend to others as he's been to me. I think that may be his legacy. Continuing to think of you Roger, Dave.

Getting E-Mail from Roger I the high light of my Day! My wife is a cancer survivor and I know that prayers are answered. Lets send a chours up for Roger. Good Luck pal. John

This place, this club surely does bring us close together as a sort of family. I count myself as one of the luckly ones for having met and talked with Roger. It looks like a lot of us have been touched by his friendship. Roger, God bless you buddy. You remain in my thoughts and prayers.

I read this before anyone responded. I was so taken by Al's words, that I couldn't find the right words to respond. After a day, I still cain't. Why the good one's have to go thru things like this I'll never know. I pray for him and his wife and famialy. Life is too cruel sometimes! Elon

I met Roger this past summer, and must say he is an inspirational person. He stopped by to pick up a mower deck "real quick" on his way North with his Brother. I bet we talked an hour, even though he only planned to stop for a minute. I too saw "Baby" and he has that tractor set up nice! Roger, my prayers go out to you and your family.

Roger, although I have never met you, I can tell from the comments of others in this site that you are a truly special person. We hope for a miracle. You and your family are in our thoughts and prayers. Like Elon above, I too am having a rough time finding the right words. Roger, I wish the best for you as you fight this terrible disease. Thanks Al, for making us aware this.

God bless you, your family and friends, Roger. Let's let Roger's inspirational behavior be a reminder to ALL of us to always give thanks and ask blessings for each and every day we have on this Earth.. Only God knows how long any of us have left in this life. Lets all appreciate all of our days, and praise God. Tacey

I also met Roger this spring. We met at the Portland, Indiana spring swap meet. I noticed some rear lift brackets for plows setting on his table. Before long we were talking about Simple tractors & I felt as if I'd known him for years. I asked how much he wanted for some center pto parts, a bevel gearbox, & a complete front pto he had lying on his trailer. He immediately said you want'em take'em. Then he pointed at a box towards the front and said there's one of them junk Kohler ohv v-twins(in pieces) you want it too, take it so I don't have to bring it home! Since then we have emailed back and forth and have caught up with each other at various events. He is a great guy and would do anything for anyone. Roger is one of a kind and will be missed greatly by many. Roger & Sandy, our prayers are with you, and as I've told you before, enjoy the people and things that mean the most to you. May God bless you always! Dan

I will also add a prayer for Roger. It is such a shame that people have to go, but in the end we all have to go. Thanks for the inforamtion Benjamin