Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Today's business....

bigcountry

Got up this morning and my goals for the day were to: 1. Sell the Murray freebie that I got 2 weeks ago. 2. Check on a Brinly sleeve hitch blade that would fit the JD 300. 3. Get over to visit my grandparents at the family farm. Well....as it turned out.... The Murray's battery wanted to play possum this morning so I kicked the battery charger into 50 amp start mode and it fired up, and I drove it around for about 30 minutes and let it charge itself back to full and then tried to see if I could disable the PTO safety switch as it causes a nasty backfire if bumped. I didn't have the wires and tape to disable it so I left it alone. I loaded it up and went and got a hair cut and then went to my g/f's house to see her llamas that she got this morning, they were real cute. Her next door neighbors had a Brinly sleeve hitch blade that I had seen just laying there rusting away in the past but still in good shape that had caught my interest. After visiting with Megan and her new llamas, I went over to her neighbors and asked about the Brinly blade. It was laying on top of a front mount blade that I couldn't identify, so I asked what it fit and he said it fits a Ford/Jacobsen and then he said I could take both for $25. He then pointed out in the pasture towards a 2 row, 3 pt. hitch cultivator and said, I'll even give that to you in the price. He said that he was moving and didn't want to take any of that stuff with him. I told him I'd be back with $25 and my trailer later on over this coming week.:D I then went to my grandparents house to check on them and I called the guy who was interested in the Murray and he said he wanted it, so I told him I'd change the oil and spark plug in it for him before I deliver it on Wednesday and that I'd monitor the battery and see if it needed replacement. Said he had to wait for his Social Security check and he'd pay me as soon as that got in. Easy quick $200. Then I run to Bojangles for lunch and while I'm there Ma calls and says that my Granddaddy called and said for me to come down there. I finished my lunch and went to my other grandparents house and he had gone to an auction this morning and bought a New Holland Haybine (for the farm) and a Snapper Comet which he gave to me. The Snapper is so old that it has the old wrap around rope start on it. I also think it may be a cast iron 5hp--either way, its a real classic. He said that he got it for $10 and wanted to see if I could get something that old running and sold, sounded like a challenge to me.:D I told him I'd give it my best shot. He said the guy that owned it said that it ran this past year. I have reason to believe him, as the belts are in pretty good shape with no dry rot. The tires seem to hold air fairly well too. The only thing that threw me off was that it had a battery and a key switch--but no electric starter, even though the bracket and top engine pulley was there. So I'm guessing that's something to be looking for now. I know where I can get a good S/G, but I don't know if a Farmall S/G (mfg. by Delco) will work. Anyway, I accomplished all of my goals--and then some today....thanks for reading my ramblings.8D

I think the farm tractor type generators are quite different from the ones used on the 12 volt systems on garden tractors. I don't think any Snapper rear engine riders would have used a generator starter. What brand of engine is it?

I'm w/ Chris on this one. I don't think snapper used any 5hp on their mowers or starter /gen. I don't think Briggs used any S/G on a 5hp. I'd think maybe it's a 7 or 8 hp swapped from another mower. Model #'s would remove any dought. Still all in all a pretty good day. Lets see some pics of the 25.00 implements and the comet when you get em picked up.

More business conducted today.... Went tractor hunting and found this Ford LGT-165 for $100, with a good solid 48" deck and a spare transmission, hydro pump, front axle, 2 front, 2 rear tires, spare steering wheel and box, and some electrical components. Then on the return trip, I dropped by a friend's house to pick up a Cub Original for a man at my church. Got paid to bring it back to his house in the next town over. Then I went and picked up the 2 blades, but had to leave the cultivator because I didn't have any space left on the trailer. I will figure out another way for the pics to be seen, this software and me do not get along very well.